Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1960's Soviet Jet pilot helmet

Article about: I picked this Cold War era Soviet Jet pilot's helmet some years ago. Not in the greatest condition but interesting. I believe it was the sort of thing a Mig 19 or Mig 21 pilot would wear. I

Default 1960's Soviet Jet pilot helmet

I picked this Cold War era Soviet Jet pilot's helmet some years ago. Not in the greatest condition but interesting. I believe it was the sort of thing a Mig 19 or Mig 21 pilot would wear. I also have a Soviet G suit from the same era, dated 1967 if I recall correctly.

1960's Soviet Jet pilot helmet1960's Soviet Jet pilot helmet1960's Soviet Jet pilot helmet1960's Soviet Jet pilot helmet

Nice Anderson Mate, for me for some reason it's a little creepy. Did you pull all of your junk pile out of storage or something? you are popping up some bits now!

Been overseas for a few years and emptied out my storage lockup recently. Finding stuff I forgot I had.

Creepy, yeah a little bug like. I use to think Soviet pilots had helmets with big red stars, like I saw on "Top Gun", but apparently not. But Clint Eastwood in "Firefox" wore a black helmet with a red star. That was a bit creepy!

Nice Mate

It's hard to tell from the photos whether it's a ZSh-5 or a ZSh-5A. The later ZSh-5A has the ballistic visor lowering block directly to the rear of the left hand visor hinge. Always possible some remnant MiG-19's used them, but it's more in the MiG-21 period onward. The ZSh-5A still has some use today. Airforce training bases use them, and common to see backseaters in the MiG-31 using them, while the pilot wears the later ZSh-7.

The top strap and bayonets for the O2 mask are there, but I'm guessing the rest of the mask is missing. It's the top strap from a KM-34D mask.