Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock

Article about: I bought this helmet in the 1970's it is ex- RNZAF stock, and was never actually issued. British made, dated 1965, these were used by Royal New Zealand Air Force on aircraft like the the Can

?

Excellent helmet Anderson!
    It interesting how it is the cloth flight helmet with an out shell.

So I take on the cloth one, the square patch on the side is where the receivers would slide in. Is that correct?

Semper Fi
    Phil

That's right Phil. Evidently on some aircraft the crew didn't wear the outer shell, just the G-type fabric helmet, as seen in the famous Vulcan bomber scene in the movie "Thunderball" (also 1965). Where the Spectre agent gasses the crew and steals the bomber and atomic bomb it carries. In the scene apparently they use the Q-type oxygen mask.

1965 British Jet pilot's helmet, RNZAF stock

?

I found another photo of interest in my stuff relating to the subject , The pilot is wearing the liner only not the outer shell as mentioned in the above photos so it was real , not just a movie scene thing .
    RAAF No 2 O.C.U
    Sorry if the the quality isn't that good , as I have scanned and cropped the photo , but you can clearly make it out.
    On the other hand , It could be a Tech checking out the comm's , I don't know if it's just landed or about to take off , so maybe he took it off or was about to put it on.
    Either way its an interesting photo.

Attachment 1353477

Very nice MK.1A and G type. The A-13 mask used with it was the A-13A-1, the British modification of the A-13A.

Cheers, Willie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2