Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

The Hind is back!!!

Article about: Hello My Fellow Aviation Fan's, I had mentioned about a Hind that attends our Weapons Training Instruction that takes place here. Well She's Here!!!! The MI-24 HIND I'll try and find her whe

?

Default The Hind is back!!!

Hello My Fellow Aviation Fan's,
    I had mentioned about a Hind that attends our Weapons Training Instruction that takes place here.
    Well She's Here!!!!
    The MI-24 HIND

Click To Enlarge!!

The Hind is back!!!
    The Hind is back!!!

I'll try and find her when she isn't wearing that blue sun shade

Semper Fi
    Phil

WOW, that's awesome! Is it privately owned, or does someone know someone at the Russian embassy? haha That is cool

Nice one Phil, what a rare sight!

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice one Phil, what a rare sight!
    When the "wall" came down I was still serving in Germany when the Bundeswehr took possession of a whole bunch of these.

One sunny morning about 0700 hrs I was walking home very tired after a difficult night shift when behind me I heard a characteristic low growl of engines in the air. I turned around and in that moment tired as I was I looked up straight at a Mi-24G at around 500 feet

Having trained so long to fight these buggers my heart nearly stopped until I remembered the circumstances and continued home with extra appetite for my bacon sandwich and coffee!

For a while we saw quite a few of these both in Germany and the uk. Always a stunning iconic sight

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-24-2021 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

"with extra appetite for my bacon sandwich and coffee!"

Off topic but Ahhhhhhh, the food of the gods! EOD runs on that (3 times a day sometimes).

Oh and on the topic, living about 10 miles from Crab central at Brize and USAF Fairford, (which I think is still working), I was shocked a couple of times last year when a B52 came over doing circuits at low level. "Arc Light.... Charlie don't ever see them or hear them..."

?

I'm glad everyone liked it!
    A couple years ago I was giving a friend a tour of the base/airfield and the Hind crew were out doing a post flight check.
    So I went over and started chatting with the 2 elder gent's who were the crew.
    They said they were out of Texas and had bought 3 of these Romanian versions of the Hind when Romania exited the Warsaw pact and joined NATO .
    They fly 2 of them and the 3rd is their parts pig.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Well looks like somebody found that Hind's home.
    When I spoke to the crew YEARS AGO, I thought they said Bulgarian, But for some reason ROMANIAN was stuck in my head.
    On another site I posted this they came back with the Bulgarian and by the markings they ID'ed it belonging to this outfit.

Cold War Air Museum - ColdWarAirMuseum

Apparently they have some DOD contracts which one of them would be the WTI support role.

I haven't been on the flightline since last week, so I haven't had a chance to find her and get a close up on the markings on the side.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Some close up pics would be good Phil.

Really cool, would love to see more pics closer.

- kai

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Some close up pics would be good Phil.
    I go back in Sunday,
    I'll look then.
    Semper Fi
    Phil