Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Lt (A) Hugh Morrison FAA NZ NVR

Article about: My Dad left me over 70 WW2 photos from his time onboard HMS Searcher as an Aircraft Mechanic (Engines), mostly of aircraft crashed on deck during the Atlantic, Arctic and Russian Convoys. I

Default Lt (A) Hugh Morrison FAA NZ NVR

My Dad left me over 70 WW2 photos from his time onboard HMS Searcher as an Aircraft Mechanic (Engines), mostly of aircraft crashed on deck during the Atlantic, Arctic and Russian Convoys. I would like to relate the story of one of his Pilots. (Dad maintained his aircraft). As told to me by him, and with some research.
    Known to the Crew as 'Hughie' he was a 27 year old Acting Lt in the NZ NVR Pilot called Hugh Morrison, attached to 882 Squadron FAA. These pictures show him still in his Grumman F4F Wildcat aircraft after clipping the Carrier's Round Down and ditching early in 1945 (March I believe?). He was rescued safely on this occasion.
    later that year, he was taking part in Operation 'Judgement' on 4th May 1945 and was part of 44 FAA aircraft that attacked U Boat U711 in a Base 5 miles south of Harstad, Norway. The attack lasted 7 minutes and two ships and a U Boat were sunk. No civilians were injured. Operation 'Judgement was the last Air Raid of the War in Europe. Unfortunately. Hughie's Plane was hit by A/A fire and ditched at sea. He was taken ashore but died from his wounds. He was the last FAA Pilot to have been killed in the European War. I have done a bit of research, and he is buried in Narvik, Norway. See Picture.
    I am hoping to visit his grave to pay my respects on behalf of my now passed Dad. A tragic story of a young man who died on, or just before Peace in Europe was declared.
    RIP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt (A) Hugh Morrison FAA NZ NVR   Lt (A) Hugh Morrison FAA NZ NVR  

Lt (A) Hugh Morrison FAA NZ NVR  

As a New Zealander I appreciate your post. Royal New Zealand Navy Volunteer Reserve.