Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Me109 F2 crash site relics

Article about: After a few days of research, I think im finally ready to submit this thread. I have a fairly large group of relics from a Me109 F2 crash site in my collection. Some of the parts and pieces

Default Me109 F2 crash site relics

After a few days of research, I think im finally ready to submit this thread. I have a fairly large group of relics from a Me109 F2 crash site in my collection. Some of the parts and pieces I have are VERY interesting, and really make you think. I also know a really good amount of information about this particular plane too. One thing I would like to note is this. The parts I'm going to show you are not the only pieces recovered from this crash, many other pieces from this same Me109 F2 exist in other collections. These are just the ones I personally own. I will show you all the information I have, and then photos of all the parts in my collection. Here you go.

This Me109 F2 was a part of 4/JG-52, and was piloted by Ofw Georg Mayr. Mayr scored a total of 5 victories during his tour of duty. His first victory was a spitfire 5KM east of Deal on May 7th 1941, and his second victory was another spitfire north of Dover on May 19th 1941. After his operations over England he was then later transferred to the eastern front. He would score 3 more victories during his time on the eastern front, but unfortunately it is currently unknown what those were. Georg Mayr was killed in action by soviet flak, and infantry fire on August 11th 1941 in Minjuschi. He was awarded the EK2, and fighter operational clasp. I will provide more information as it becomes available. Best regards- Jarret

Me109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relics

I forgot to mention the importance of the relic in photo number nine. That is Mayr's parachute activation handle. Something he would have worn, and a VERY important piece.

Best regards- Jarret

Me109 F2 crash site relicsMe109 F2 crash site relics

Excellent Jarret, you are really making those shredded pieces of metal come to life. Keep it up.

Jay

Many of those pieces show180 degrees of tear. The small pieces make it obvious it was a high speed crash, but the wide range of tearing is pretty good evidence the aircraft must have literally gone straight, in nose first.

Thank you Jay! Yes these pieces show the severity of the crash very well. While I was doing research on this specific crash, I found two other collectors that were also searching for the same information. They were members of a aircraft dedicated forum, and they actually found a photograph of the pilot. I cant view the photo unless im a member, so I applied to be a member. Hopefully I can get a hold of that photo, and share it with you soon. Thanks for the support Jay!!

Best regards- Jarret

Great bit of investigative work Jarret.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Great bit of investigative work Jarret.
    Thank you Anderson! I find it quite interesting to research these aircraft relics. The story they tell is amazing.

Best regards- Jarret

What puzzles me are the remains of the ADb.16. The Adb.16 was part of the FuG17 radio installation used in reconnaissance aircraft. The Bf 109 F2 at the time was fitted with the FuG VII installation, the ADb.16 can not have come from a F2.

regards,

Funksammler

Quote by Funksammler View Post
    What puzzles me are the remains of the ADb.16. The Adb.16 was part of the FuG17 radio installation used in reconnaissance aircraft. The Bf 109 F2 at the time was fitted with the FuG VII installation, the ADb.16 can not have come from a F2.

regards,

Funksammler
    Wow, very good eye Funksammler! You are very right. The ADb.16. was specifically designed for reconnaissance aircraft such as the HS126 and FW189. It doesn't make sense finding this part within a group of Bf 109 F2 parts. I only have a few ideas as to how this happened. After my house flooded in Hurricane Harvey, I tried to pack up my collection to the best of my abilities. Perhaps I accidentally packed this piece into this group of Bf 109 F2 parts during the commotion. I have a large box of random Luftwaffe relics that I try to keep separated from the groups of confirmed crash site pieces that I have in my collection. Also, maybe this was an error on the sellers end. The seller I got this group of Bf 109 F2 parts from has found MANY other crash sites, and it is possible he sent this by accident with the other parts. I thank you for catching this error! I will remove this part from the group now.

Best regards- Jarret

Great work Jarret
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill