Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Navigational Computer – a mk111h*.

Article about: Hi Guys, My friend has come across her deceased fathers Navigational Computer – a mk111h*. She asked me to ‘look into it for her’. I have no idea where to start, except on here. A few markin

?

Default Navigational Computer – a mk111h*.

Hi Guys,

My friend has come across her deceased fathers Navigational Computer – a mk111h*. She asked me to ‘look into it for her’.
    I have no idea where to start, except on here.
    A few markings are:
    FRONT:: AM P > L.N.P > LNP/R/3/53 > Ref. No. 6B/250
    REAR:: I.C.A.N calibration.

1/ We’d like to know more about it – for her fathers point
    2/ I’m sure she’d like an idea of what it’s worth – at the right auction.
    So far, whilst finding a few samples on the internet, I haven’t come up with one with Mk111h*.

Anyone help please ?

Navigational Computer – a mk111h*.Navigational Computer – a mk111h*.

The ref No 6B/250 would mean it was used by the RAF most likely in a aircraft

?

Thanks kradman,
    Her father certainly was a pilot.
    Were these things used in other things, like ships, tanks etc etc ?
    I assumed they were only used in planes.

It's used specifically for aircraft, and computes a myriad of different problems such as the effect of winds on the aircrafts track and ground speed, as well as fuel consumption/use that is also affected by the winds speed and distance to be travelled/ time taken. It can also be used to plot interception problems, in fact almost any mathematical problem that may be encountered in flight.

That's a very basic synopsis, for the full skinny you can read this, but unless your really keen, or planning a Flight 19 type exercise, but hoping for a better outcome, it's pretty dry stuff.

WW2 RAF/Commonwealth Air Forces Collector/Reenactor Forum: Navigational Computor Mk.III H

Value is minimal, around £20 tops for one in good condition and no damage.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

an old thread I know but I was given one of these recently. The thread starter marked 6b/250 with ICAN means it is post war.

for such a common device there is little about them on the net it seems. this type with the four feet is for the navigator, there was a version with a strap for pilots
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Navigational Computer – a mk111h*.   Navigational Computer – a mk111h*.  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.