Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Tail Wheel Tyre

Article about: G'day All, Can anyone identify what aeroplane this tail wheel tyre I have may be fitted to? Cheers in advance

Default Tail Wheel Tyre

G'day All,

Can anyone please identify what aeroplane this tail wheel tyre I have may be fitted to?

Cheers in advance

My dumb research is pointing to a Spitfire? As we (Australia) did have them during WW2.
    I'd love to read any opinions.
    Cheers All.

Lightbulb

Very nice item ! I'll try to start the ball rolling.....

However, tail tyres without wheels can be difficult to identify ( the wheels usually have a relevant AM no. ). Most Spitfire tail tyre were sized 4.00-3.1/2 but someone else may have a more definitive reply.

?

I have found someone claiming this 4.95-3 1/2 was used on the fairly swordfish but Australia and that plane hardly makes me believe they started production for its wheels. ( they operated 6 swordfishes)

WW2 Royal Air Force / RCAF Battle Swordfish Tail Wheel & Tire – VERY NICE! – Axis Militaria

So I reckon it’s still another plane

Lightbulb

You're quite right, Jb - the tyre was fitted to the Fairey Swordfish, and also the Fulmar and even the Fairey Battle. It could be tricky to pin this one down....

Thanks Guys for helping out so far, it's been a big question for a couple of decades.

The Boulton Paul Defiant aircraft used this sized rear tail tire or could possibly be a beaufighter tire.