Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

An uncommon sight in Europe's skies

Article about: I share with you an interesting collection of pictures showing one of the projects launched at the end of World War II by Germany as part of its war effort to try to avoid the increasingly A

Default An uncommon sight in Europe's skies

I share with you an interesting collection of pictures showing one of the projects launched at the end of World War II by Germany as part of its war effort to try to avoid the increasingly Allied bombing. The big question remains whether this rocket plane had been built in greater quantities and earlier would have changed the final outcome? What do you think? Visit the link below, see photos and give your opinion about it.

Avia

Best Regards.

Indeed a bizarre last ditch desperate weapon, i feel sorry for the poor guys who were expected to pilot it!...

An interesting concept!!

The page linked doesn't seem to say anything about this machine but I have seen it before and for those who don't know it is the Ba 349 Natter (Viper in English).

An absolutely desperate madcap idea to use what was in the very early stages of development.

Meant as a pure interceptor the design might have had some merit but they attempted to use it at little more than the concept and initial development stage without the design being fully thought through. The pilots were very basically trained and their function was only final guidance onto target and actuation of the weapons.It probably would have been a better use of resources to develop the initial guidance to get the aircraft unmanned into the middle of a bomber stream carrying a larger payload (in place of the weight of the pilot operating and recovery systems ) and there detonate the device like a huge flak round.

I guess they weren't thinking effectively at that point.
    If it had been developed sooner and more fully I suppose it might have been an effective air defence weapon rather like modern SAM systems but they would have needed a great many to seriously trouble the volume of allied bombers they were meant to stop. Had they the advanced technology I don't think they had the resources even much earlier in the war to have had great success with this.

In the event I think the early tests resulted in the death of the test pilot. Not one of the better ideas to come out of the TR "mad scientist lab"

It's an entertaining "what if" excercise though!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."