Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?

Article about: Hi I hope everyone on the forum is keeping well. I also hope that people on here have been adding to their collections & continuing on finding more items. This is a cap that I got very r

Default Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?

Hi I hope everyone on the forum is keeping well. I also hope that people on here have been adding to their collections & continuing on finding more items.

This is a cap that I got very recently. Caps are not my area at all & I just got it as a decorative item. I bought it assuming that it is a modern reproduction made within the last decade.

But I have been told it maybe a West German border Guards cap, as it is dated on the inside 1970s. I believe it said 76, but to me the visor doesn’t correspond to being a BGS cap because of how it’s got ridges running through the actual sun visor to the front. That wouldn’t be textured like that from the pictures I’ve seen of BGS caps.

I was just interested to know for information purposes as the value for the majority of BGS caps isn’t a whole lot anyhow.

Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?
    P
    Many

?

It is indeed a BGS cap from 1976. Perhaps the visor was exposed to the sun/heat - this would cause these "wrinkles". If you can get the proper insignia it is a nice cap. Prices for BGS caps have raised enormously these past years.

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    It is indeed a BGS cap from 1976. Perhaps the visor was exposed to the sun/heat - this would cause these "wrinkles". If you can get the proper insignia it is a nice cap. Prices for BGS caps have raised enormously these past years.
    Yep, 100%. The pattern on the visor is due to age and basically represents the degradation of the celluloid based material.

This is what it looks like with ORs (Other Ranks or Enlisted personnel in English, Mannschaften in German) insignia. Officers wore a bullion cockade and eagle with a cord chinstrap.
    I have an officers type somewhere I will post pictures for comparison

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?   Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) or repro?  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Nice example Mark - it shows Alkero's development from Ronsdorf (the Ro in AlkerRO - just like in PeküRO; Peter Küppers in Ronsdorf) to Vohwinkel, Ödmiesbach and Teunz where they now are and still going strong - celebrating their 100th birthday!