Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early (?) Allgemeine SS EM/NCO cap

Article about: Hello all, So I present this interesting piece, which leaves me in two minds. Advertised as coming from a film production company, but as being an authentic period piece. Early eagle and sku

?

Default Early (?) Allgemeine SS EM/NCO cap

Hello all,

So I present this interesting piece, which leaves me in two minds. Advertised as coming from a film production company, but as being an authentic period piece. Early eagle and skull, interior liner/diamond gone, several ink-stamps inked over with a sharpie or somesuch. One can make out holes on either side of the eagle where, I assume, the larger second-pattern eagle was once attached -- making this an 'ensemble' piece. Or could the insignia have been swapped during the TR period -- hardly, from 1st to 2nd pattern and back again?

In any case, I would appreciate opinions on authenticity of the cap itself and the insignia, ensemble or no. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early (?) Allgemeine SS EM/NCO cap
    P
    Many

?

The body of the cap could, indeed, be original. Lots of "repairs" have been done, though. The peak is not original to the cap, it was stiched on quite crudely, the seam above the upper piping of the centerband which goes right through to the lining (black thread) shouldn't be there, either. I am not sure about the sweatband. As I don't know a thing about insignia, I can't help there. All in all a piece that has been tampered with a lot.

?

Thanks for your input. To be honest, it's not a piece I'd be happy with, but I thought I'd post it regardless. I wonder if anyone could chime in on the authenticity of the insignia, for curiosity's sake?

?

The insignia is fine. A Berlin Horde type of skull and a standard 1929 pattern eagle neither of which are rare or expensive. The underside / reverse of the chinstrap looks odd to me too. A real Frankenstein cap
    Regards, Al

While not common or cheap, best to purchase one of these that doesn't have the 'issues' of this one.

?

This cap reappeared for sale again 2 years to the day almost at Hannah's Reich website. I'm posting the new photo's for reference. You can clearly see all the extra crude stitching throughout the body

Early (?) Allgemeine SS EM/NCO capEarly (?) Allgemeine SS EM/NCO cap

Regards, Al

?

I love how these cap get archived and someone always manages to find them again. Some previous owner got tired of it that quickly?

?

I agree, I'm often puzzled at how fast these caps turn around. I know when they hit my collection they'll have a home until I'm completely done with the hobby.
    Regards, Al