Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gebirgsjäger visor cap for review

Article about: Hello, everyone! I recently received this cap and would like to know what exactly I have there and whether there is anything special about this object. I would like some professional opinion

TWS
    ?

Quote by Leonidas View Post
    Thank you Erwesa.
    I got the cap to check and the old lady said it would have been a high medalist. I now have a week to check and make a decision. I'm not so sure either, the fabric is already very fine, the emblems also look good and there are no holes from other emblems. The stiffening ring is made of cardboard. This rotten forehead protection is barely there and I can't define it exactly, nor does it look like the typical foam in post-war caps. What else can you pay attention to? What I also noticed is how the sweat leather is sewn in with a velvet-like fabric. Somehow I like this hat a lot, it has a special character.
    It looks like you came to the right conclusion, but just in case: ErWeSa is 100% correct. This is a post-war cap. Unless it was very cheap, you should return it for a refund.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gebirgsjäger visor cap for review
    P
    Many

Do not worry.
    I haven't paid for the cap yet. The trip there cost a little but nothing more.
    I only buy caps when I can examine them carefully and especially when I can get professional help from this forum.
    I will send them back.
    Thanks guy's and a special thank you to erwesa!

Leonidas, I call these BRD poseurs, as they are West German police visors posing as WH.
    The easiest way to distinguish these is the air vents on either side.

Here is an example of what it would have looked like originally:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjäger visor cap for review  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Weren't there any ventilation holes on the caps in the Third Reich? That would be a good feature then.
    The visor was also misleading for me, as other mountain hunter caps also had green visors with a corrugated surface. It's bad that there are people who want to modify such caps and sell them as original. I don't mind if someone declares it to be a fake or a replica and then sells it at a reasonable price, but something like this cap and including a soldier's name is fraud.
    That's why I'm happy to know this forum.
    Thank you stonemint

?

Hi again,
    the air vent phenomenon is treated here to some extent:

Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze

It is also mentioned in Rudolf's book "Visor Hats of the German Army" pp. 30 + 31. Heer caps with air vents were the exeption to the rule but they did exist (bad for the collector as it is not a 100% exclusion factor) as did caps which had peaks/visors with a reverse painted in green (unlike police caps which have this feature more often than not).

So this is how it should look when a cap has ventilation holes. I have a lot to learn.
    Thank you erwesa

I have also doubts about the eagle. Seems to be a good one but IMO is not original in this cap. Also seems to be very large.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2