Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching

Article about: Hello everyone, I found a lovely example of Heer signals officer's cap, but I'm concerned about the sweatband stitching. It looks a bit too sloppy to be period but I'm not ruling it out. Not

Default Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching

Hello everyone,

I found a lovely example of Heer signals officer's cap, but I'm concerned about the sweatband stitching. It looks a bit too sloppy to be period but I'm not ruling it out. Note the missed holes, uneven space between stitches and odd areas where the black thread seems to be tangled (as pointed by the arrows). Otherwise, the cap I think is a nice unmarked original.

What is your opinion?

Thank you again very much for looking!

Best regards,
    MG.

Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching
    P
    Many

Replaced for sure.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you Ade!

?

I'd opt for repaired, the sweatband itself might well be original to the cap.

Thank you, Erwesa! I know it's hard to tell, but maybe this was a period repair?
    Still odd to see a fixed/replaced sweatband on cap that is in such good condition. I would expect this with Pekuros, but here the 1/2 stirndruckfrei seems intact.

TWS
    ?

As Ade and ErWeSa said, replaced or reattached.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by Migobeego View Post
    Thank you, Erwesa! I know it's hard to tell, but maybe this was a period repair?
    Still odd to see a fixed/replaced sweatband on cap that is in such good condition. I would expect this with Pekuros, but here the 1/2 stirndruckfrei seems intact.
    Right you are! I think this is due to the fact that the thread which was used to fix the sweatband to the grey fabric which is meant to avoid forehead pressure is stronger or not under so high a stress than the one which was used to sew the sweatband directly to the cap. That is why there is only one stich missing (so far, once this starts to give in it will continue and should be fixed) in the area of the peak. From the pictures the cap seems to be a later war piece (I can't see too many details but the fabric doesn't seem to be high quality doeskin and the peak is lacquered the way this was done in later years of the war). If the price is O. K. I wouldn't mind the repaired sweatband - you could fix/have that fixed satisfactorily.

Interesting insight as always, Erwesa.

I agree about the material, it looks like the lower quality "eskimo wool" instead of doeskin. The price (760 EUR) does seem to reflect the issue but I may still pass on it. I think I can easily get a better one for not much more.

Here is a somewhat better close up:

Heer Signals Officer's cap - sweatband stitching