Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Lw m43

Article about: Just posting this LW M43, which I've owned since I was a kid in 1976. I've little doubt as to the authenticity of the cap, so am not posting detailed pics of it, but the badge has an unusual

Default Lw m43

Just posting this LW M43, which I've owned since I was a kid in 1976. I've little doubt as to the authenticity of the cap, so am not posting detailed pics of it, but the badge has an unusually dark backing and I'm keen to get opinions on it. Any experienced opinions welcomed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lw m43   Lw m43  

Lw m43   Lw m43  

Lw m43  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lw m43
    P
    Many

?

The trapezoid is not original IMO, can't give a decisive opinion on the cap itself but I think it stands a chance.

Tobias

?

Being sewn right through the lining is seldom a good sign, as the insignia was generally applied prior to the lining going in (and more importantly, from a machinist’s point of view, the peak being fitted*), but never say never...

Like Tobias, I’m not at all keen on the insigne, due to its thin felt-like backing and equally thin embroidery.

*you can see how much trouble the machinist had here from the very wobbly stitch line - caused by trying to fight with the peak under the sewing machine head and not being able to see what you’re doing!

There is a thread over on the WAF about these trapezoid insignias... they are repro, and sewn on to a hoard of original M43 caps
    that were found many years after the war that were made during the war but never had the insignia added.

Someone (I would have to try and find the thread again) had them made in the 60's I think to put onto the original caps....

Many thanks for the input. Looks like my suspicions regarding the insignia weren't misplaced. Nevertheless, I still don't begrudge having paid £7.50 for the cap !