Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Schirmmütze für Offizier der Infanterie

Article about: Good evening, gents. I've been trying to find a Schirmmütze to pair with an Infantry Officer blouse, and happened to come across this one. Looks to be in nice shape with tricot construction

Default Schirmmütze für Offizier der Infanterie

Good evening, gents. I've been trying to find a Schirmmütze to pair with an Infantry Officer blouse, and happened to come across this one. Looks to be in nice shape with tricot construction and bullion eagle and wreath, but I would like your opinion on some features.

The lining doesn't appear to ever have had a celluloid sweat diamond - seems unusual?

The vents on the leather sweatband are off-center...

What do you think about the application of the adler?

I'm not well versed in repros (such as the Janke fakes), so I'm skeptical of this one.

I've been comparing this one to others both in books and through image search, but I'd still like the headgear experts to please chime in, if you'd be so kind.

One million thanks, as always.

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schirmmütze für Offizier der Infanterie
    P
    Many

?

I share your doubts. That there is and never was a sweatshield is no problem for me, this happened, particularly later in the war. What cocerns me more is the shape (saucer-shape for an officer), the uneven piping of the crown, the lack of padding, the sweatband which, as you mentioned, is off-center. There also seem to be empty stitch-holes in the left front side-panel. The pictures don't, of course, show us what would confirm our doubts - the whole top doesn't seem to fit correctly (there seems to be an overlapping of material on the left side where the side-panels are sewn together.

Pictures from under the sweatband would be revealing, too - handsewn? What about the bill - holes of machine sewing + holes of a handsewn seam (it seems to have been handsewn to the cap from what one can see).
    I can't see how the Adler is attached to the cap - sewn or glued? I can't see any stitches. It certainly is none of the usual modern repro caps. At best it is a period cap that was made (or refurbished) by an unexperienced cap maker, but without the cap in hand I can't tell (perhaps even with the cap in hand I couldn't) - perhaps the "senior experts" can.

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    I share your doubts. That there is and never was a sweatshield is no problem for me, this happened, particularly later in the war. What cocerns me more is the shape (saucer-shape for an officer), the uneven piping of the crown, the lack of padding, the sweatband which, as you mentioned, is off-center. There also seem to be empty stitch-holes in the left front side-panel. The pictures don't, of course, show us what would confirm our doubts - the whole top doesn't seem to fit correctly (there seems to be an overlapping of material on the left side where the side-panels are sewn together.

Pictures from under the sweatband would be revealing, too - handsewn? What about the bill - holes of machine sewing + holes of a handsewn seam (it seems to have been handsewn to the cap from what one can see).
    I can't see how the Adler is attached to the cap - sewn or glued? I can't see any stitches. It certainly is none of the usual modern repro caps. At best it is a period cap that was made (or refurbished) by an unexperienced cap maker, but without the cap in hand I can't tell (perhaps even with the cap in hand I couldn't) - perhaps the "senior experts" can.
    Thanks for having a look and taking the time to reply. I've asked for some more pictures, including some under-the-sweatband shots, but I certainly had my doubts.

All valid points you've mentioned. This one is unusual, and I sort of thought it was a long-shot to begin with, but thanks again for pointing out these details. I totally missed the odd stitch seam on the front/side panel. And that adler could possibly be glued...

It also looks like the rear seam is way off centerSchirmmütze für Offizier der Infanterie
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

?

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    It also looks like the rear seam is way off centerSchirmmütze für Offizier der Infanterie
    This would, however, correspond to the instructions for the production of visor caps (the Hempe-manual explicitly states that the bottom-Vorstoß is to join to the left or right of the seam at the back of the centerband).

Thanks for all the replies, gents. Unless the seller sends more pictures that somehow completely change my view on this one, I'll probably just have to let this cap go. The hunt continues...

It is an Alteste (some were made without the sweatdiamond).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    It is an Alteste (some were made without the sweatdiamond).
    Oh, interesting... I've read about these (and about Mr. Breuer). Looks like I finally found one in the wild. Thanks Stone and everyone else - saved me a buck!