Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS M43 Dachau type

Article about: Hello, this cap is being represented as a late war Dachau depot SS M43. All the Dachau type m43 caps I have seen are the Waffen SS Panzer model black variety with the "Jolly Roger"

?

Default SS M43 Dachau type

Hello, this cap is being represented as a late war Dachau depot SS M43. All the Dachau type m43 caps I have seen are the Waffen SS Panzer model black variety with the "Jolly Roger" skull trap. The only thing in common with the Dachau caps on this one is the cardboard visor and the grey herringbone liner. In fact I think the embroidered insignia is of the early war version if I'm correct. has anyone seen one like this. Does it stand a chance off being a good one. Any help and opinions are appreciated. thanks, Al

SS M43 Dachau type

SS M43 Dachau type

SS M43 Dachau type

SS M43 Dachau type

SS M43 Dachau type

SS M43 Dachau type

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M43 Dachau type
    P
    Many

This one looks a bit of a mis-match to me. Just having viewed some originals online there are differences in terms of the skull & eagle. I also worry when I see a field cap that looks as fresh as this.

Still though it looks reasonably good quality for one of these. If the price I was low I wouldn’t put someone off of it to add to a display.

?

Well the insignia is a known type that I've seen in green and black wool but not grey, look at the images below. The quality and stitching looks right but I don't know enough to say for sure. The newness of the cap can possibly be explained as a well stored un-issued piece of gear. I've certainly seen many mint caps from all conflicts on this forum. The question then becomes is this an actual variant of an SS cap that existed. Of course if this was some type of Dachau surplus cap you would expect to find many more like it available. I hope some one can elaborate.

Credit: Ken N.
    SS M43 Dachau typeSS M43 Dachau type

?

I have found similar caps at auctions which I presumed were fake caps with this description given. this could explain the odd look of the cap as well.

SS M43 Dachau type

"Waffen SS Dachau concentration camp made M43/44 Feldmutze. Very late war cap with paper visor to use as a stiffener. The difference between M43 and M44 is in construction of side panels (ear warm keepers) and the body of the hat. On the late M44 models were used just one piece of uncut wool to make the panels and the body that was done to simplify the working process save the labor time and cloth. But most M43 models have 4 pieces construction of the side panels and the body with seam at the back."

and this thread on a Rssian forum

M43/44/45 feldmutze(Dachau made).

"M43 / 44 design itself is extremely simplified. unlike their predecessors, the base of the cap and the "ears" are made of two parts, not four. this is noticeable by the absence of a back seam."
    Last edited by Aldo; 09-29-2020 at 04:10 PM.

?

Espenlaub Militaria has one in the archives of a gaberdine version of the "M43/M44" with similar 2 piece construction and no rear seam.

Waffen SS, Dachau concentration camp made M 43 Feldmutze, dated 1945 year- Field Caps

I don't see anything wrong here, trap is authentic.

?

Thanks Sid, I value your opinion.

Al

?

First 3 caps in the Russian forum are fake.

I would want to see more pics from the thread starter cap - more details.

?

That does not bode well for me as I won the auction and the cap is on hold. Is there anything in particular about the cap that raises suspicion or is it the overall cap? What in particular needs to be photographed in more depth?

I also compared it to this cap in post #5 of the same ilk with a different trap insignia. Thank you for anymore insight you can provide

SS M-43 & Overseas Caps

Dos
    ?

I can see some minor differences in construction between the M43 in the first post and the one from post #5 in the link you have shown.

I've highlighted them with red. Absolutely no knowledge about these, but just trying to help...

SS M43 Dachau type

It does look convincing..

Hope you get some answers on the questions above!

Dos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast