Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Schiffchen

Article about: I took a gamble on this SS Schiffchen at auction with poor photo's but I think it paid off. In hand the cap seems authentic in every way. The color and material are correct, the false piping

?

Heh, my mistake (((

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Schiffchen
    P
    Many

?

My skull arrived today ! Here is a preview of what it will look like when I sew it on.

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen
    Regards, Al

What sort of thread are you going to use Al?

?

I ordered a spool of the thinnest black cotton thread I could find. I am open to suggestions as this is all new to me
    Regards, Al

Dos
    ?

If it was my cap.. I would probably try to obtain a roll of sewing thread from the 1920's or 1930's. Not that hard to obtain if you look at a quick search online. Then again, finding someone that has experience in restoring visors or caps from these times would be worth the investment in my opinion. Perhaps the gentleman that restored the visor from member "hvm" in the UK? I would not be surprised that there is someone that has this experience in your area. A good militaria dealer could have these contacts..

I would also attempt to find "antique" thread similar to what was used in the 1940's, not impossible to find, and would lift the overall authenticity of the piece.

?

Thank you, I actually ordered vintage 1940's black cotton thread but it only came in 30 gauge. I'm not sure if that will do
    Regards, Al

?

Well I still have not sewn on my skull but placed it on temporarily with a very thin tacky double side tape. In the meantime I found another beautiful unissued skull at a very fair price....

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen

SS SchiffchenSS Schiffchen

SS SchiffchenSS Schiffchen
    Regards, Al

?

I finally got around to sewing my TK patch onto the schiffchen. As stated before I used a vintage spool of thin black cotton thread and the thinnest needle I could find. I used the outline of the original stitches left behind on the cap to position the skull. It was a little tough going around the frayed edges of the skull weave but I eventually got it nicely secured. I think it came out fairly well for an amateur.

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen

SS Schiffchen
    Regards, Al

?

Nicely restored cap. Well done, a great addition to the headgear collection.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast