Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Italian boiler, russian engravings, need a little help

Article about: Hello everyone, i recently recived this boiler, coming from the Stalingrad area. I would like to better understand the engravings on it. On the bottom i ended up thinking that ''Betep'' coul

Default Italian boiler, russian engravings, need a little help

Hello everyone,

i recently recived this boiler, coming from the Stalingrad area. I would like to better understand the engravings on it. On the bottom i ended up thinking that ''Betep'' could be a family name, and the other word, after some internet searching, should mean something like ''is chasing women'', so it could be ''Betep is chasing women'', so the frase should be also connected to the woman drawing.

Regarding the other marking, on the boiler's front, i wasn't able to obtain some logical translation ''Interno'' appears as an possible italian word, but Antnio...has no match in russian or italian. If it was Antonio...but apparently it isn't, so, any suggestion?

Many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian boiler, russian engravings, need a little help   Italian boiler, russian engravings, need a little help  

Italian boiler, russian engravings, need a little help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Italian boiler, russian engravings, need a little help
    P
    Many

?

Concerning russian words. The first word "Лёха" is a short version of the russian name Alexey, the second word - "ветер" (a wind) could be his nickname.

McSeam, many thanks for you kind help. Can you tell me if the words on the front tin has any sense? It's strange that on the bottom, where the Alexey ''Wind'', the words are in cyrillic, but on the front not...so, does have any sens in russian the front writings? Thanks.

?

You are welcome. If you want to translate smth from Russian - let me know.

Yes, it's very strange - languages are different. Maybe it was a trophy and the next owner had written the new inscription on the other language? Otherwise I have no ideas...

Many thanks for you kind help! Yes, is strange to have 2 types of language, but not very uncommon, as you say about the possibility of the messtin being used both by Russian and....somebody else? The strange thing is that it was located in a Romanian trench, but the front engraving dosent make sense neither in Romanian language. The other possibility was related to an italian, but also in italian ..not much sense (the fisrt word ''interno'' means ''internal/inside'' but the other one..could have been ''Antonio'', but t isnt really written Antonio...)
    Last edited by ArkanBuc; 05-22-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Interesting item. Thanks for showing it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You're welcome, Adrian. For me it was a pleasure to showing it, because it's a pleasure to have such kind of items (i truly like everything related to trench-art and personal objects coming from battlefields) with particulare background. From the beginning i was curious about it: i was able to understand that the bottom writing is in russian (even if i didnt know the translation), but my attention was caught more by the front engravings. Beside the skull and the star with the ''11'' in it, which could have be done by anyone of the tin's owners, the front name was the trick.

If the messtin was taken from a Romanian soldier, the front engravings dosent make any sense in Romanian language; if it was taken from an Italian, it could make sense only if we consider the second word as misspelled, Antnio instead of Antonio, so we could have Interno Antonio (which could be an italian name, having sense). In the same time in Antnio we have also a cyrillic letter, the second N being reversed.

So i don't know what to bealive: it was taken by a Russian from an Italian soldier, which wrote his name in a hurry, misspelling it? The Italian soldier wanted to gave a ''Russian touch'' to his name, using a reversed N in his name (hardly bealive so..)? It was a messtin used by a Romanian soldier and taken by a Russian? but in that case, what's about the Interno Antnio....probably i never find out the tru story, and maybe that's the truly nice part