Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fantasy HJ Badge?

Article about: Was this basic HJ shooting badge ever made by this maker? I believe the HJ badge with either the silver or gold wreath around it was made by Wilhelm Deumer but not this one? I’ve recently

My apologies for any offence caused but I meant the overall comments I have received about this badge not just on this site. And I am far from knowing all there is to know about this badge. What I know about this badge could be written on a gnats balls so please don’t think any different. All I was basically saying is that real information is hard to come by on this badge and that I have had so many different conflicting views that it is hard to have an opinion about this bloody badge either way.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fantasy HJ Badge?
    P
    Many

Quote by BILLYHUNT View Post
    My apologies for any offence caused but I meant the overall comments I have received about this badge not just on this site. And I am far from knowing all there is to know about this badge. What I know about this badge could be written on a gnats balls so please don’t think any different. All I was basically saying is that real information is hard to come by on this badge and that I have had so many different conflicting views that it is hard to have an opinion about this bloody badge either way.
    Fair enough, it's very easy to be misunderstood online.

If I were to summarise; Zinc late war examples of this badge do exist though as far as I can tell the earlier plated brass and enamel types seem more common (that might just be due to my own preference and tendency to overlook late war pieces) but they generally appear of better quality than this one. Again, my perception based on my relatively limited experience of HJ items. However, the riveted pin plate is highly suspect and although I have seen one on a dealers site today (much better quality than this one) I do know that all that are marked as this one is (Deumer I think?) are regarded with suspicion by collectors. As I say , I personally do not like it and would not have it in my collection but if you already have it and can't return it I would quarantine it it the "Suspect fake" drawer (we all have one!) until such time as yo can be satisfied. These are still not the most expensive TR item by a long chalk but it won't be too long before they reach 3 figures so if you want one it should be a nice one that you are confident with.
    As and when you get confirmation either way please remember to post the answer here.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

The crimped on pin plate of this style was used on some period zinc badges. An example is shown on page 188 of Jo Rivett's Party Badge book.
    There are also photos of unfinished zinc planchets with the 2 locating nubs and pages from period hardware manufacturers catalogues showing such pin plate assemblies.

Regards
    Brett

I’ve had a positive result over on the HJ Research forum with some good information about this particular badge. I did try uploading it here but my computer skills are almost on a par with my dear old mum. Needless to say, nothing was uploaded. It was in response to a written point of view that was saying they don’t exist. I know that this badge is no where near the quality of the earlier ones but if it is legit I think it’s still a worthy piece to collect. I to have seen it being sold on a couple of sites (one being Espenlaub Militaria) so they are still out there.

Quote by Brett View Post
    The crimped on pin plate of this style was used on some period zinc badges. An example is shown on page 188 of Jo Rivett's Party Badge book.
    There are also photos of unfinished zinc planchets with the 2 locating nubs and pages from period hardware manufacturers catalogues showing such pin plate assemblies.

Regards
    Brett
    Thank you for sharing Bret, I appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2