MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gausieger 1944

Article about: Hi there! I recieved my Gausieger 1944 at home today. Is it the real thing? The paint is painted over the letters... Willem

?

I have no interest in collecting these badges, but if the flattened crimp is a valid point as far as a proving the badge a fake, then I think there is a problem with this particular badge. Remember all....the devil is in the details!

Regards
    Brett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gausieger 1944
    P
    Many

A good discussion and valid points have been made for and against. I think we all can agree the face of the badge is lacking the quality we d all expect in a TR era piece. For me some of the problems with the front from what I d normally expect, are the shape of the eagles head and beak in particular, the lack of detail in the feet clutching the hj diamond, the softness of the two "berries" at the 12 o clock position around the wreaths​/badge perimeter. But it is about as late war production as it gets, the fact that they went from an enameled face to a painted one tells u all you need to know about standards and quality control. Yes the badge could of and probably did have a repaint but does that make it fake? One last point about the front though look at the fake in the thread I attached the thicknesses of the swaz on the original compared to the fake is clearly different in widths. I do believe the reverse is where the proof lies or authenticates in this example. I do the think the catch has the pinpoint like sape (non blunted), the pin length is suspect (could be pictures and or angles when taken). And I think the ball hinge is ok. For me personally it s the spacing in the letters if BREHMER as Ned pointed out that say good to me. Of course the fakers could of corrected this but why take the time? Far worse has been sold and argued about authenticity for far longer. Any how I m eager to learn and if I'm wrong at least I gained knowledge. Hopefully we can see better pics or at least have sharper eyes give a definitive yes or no. Until then best regards to all.

Brian

Here a better picture for the catch...

WillemGausieger 1944

CBH
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Chris-
    Please elaborate on your position on this badge. I personal think it is a genuine piece.
    After reviewing the link provided in post #6, big ned had a very detailed explanation on why it was a fake. Wrong colour paint, mistakes in the lettering on the reverse etc. He had a side by side comparison. I don't claim to be an expert on these, but I do trust big ned more then many around here, present company excluded.

?

Willie, a close up something like shown in the link supplied in post # 6 is required. Just the catch & crimp if possible. This photo is no better than the other ones.

Regards
    Brett

One listed here with nice big pictures;https://www.weitze.net/militaria/04/...4__267604.html

The new rust on the ball hinge might tell us something also.
    Not quite as visible on the first photos posted.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I believe the badge is a fake. The main points have already been covered here and in the old link shown by Chris in which I commented previously. The badge marked by Brehmer is considered rare, and as such the maker mark should not have any variances.

Here is an image of the maker mark of the OP's badge combined with that of a (somewhat worn) genuine piece. I think most will agree there are clearly noticeable differences, i.e. The full stop/period. That is enough to draw the correct conclusions in my opinion.

Original on top, OP's bottom.

Gausieger 1944

Another example that's better still that I've pinched from the net. Again, top good, bottom fake. Please compare with those above.

Gausieger 1944
    Courtesy R.Denis

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A little more info.

MEASUREMENTS & WEIGHT:

GENUINE BADGE:

Width = 49.47mm Height = 47.29mm Weight = 23.8g

FAKE BADGE:

Width = 49.7mm Height = 47.52mm Weight = 27.5g

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    A little more info.

MEASUREMENTS & WEIGHT:

GENUINE BADGE:

Width = 49.47mm Height = 47.29mm Weight = 23.8g

FAKE BADGE:

Width = 49.7mm Height = 47.52mm Weight = 27.5g

Regards, Ned.

This badge weights 27g. So we can be sure it is a fake!

Thanks all!

Willem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast