Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

hj shooting badge

Article about: just copped this little guy from my favourite haunt £2 buy it now i know the pins missing but cant moan,,, rgds dave

?

Default hj shooting badge

just copped this little guy from my favourite haunt £2 buy it now i know the pins missing but cant moan,,, rgds dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture hj shooting badge   hj shooting badge  

hj shooting badge   hj shooting badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement hj shooting badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: hj shooting badge

Hi Dave, yet another bargain! Well done, it is a nice little award.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Dave, I have taken a couple of pics of mine to show you, which is the Scharfschützenabzeichen.

Maker is M1/14 Matth. Oescbsler & Sohn, Ansbach

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture hj shooting badge   hj shooting badge  

?

thanks for posting pics ade, that looks a much nicer badge than mine, i dont know much about these, is mine a bronze or silver as cant really tell, cheers dave

Hi Dave, here is some info on these badges.

They came in three grades which were introduced over time. Yours is the basic grade badge which is:

Anfanger-Klasse (Begginers or Marksmanship grade)

Introduced in late 1936 by Reichsjugendfuhrer Baldur Von Schirach to get 14 year old boys of the DJ/HJ interested in shooting. Tests were done firing a .22 rifle, firing five rounds prone supported, then five rounds prone unsupported followed by a further five rounds kneeling, unsupported.

By the end of 1943, 273,545 badges had been awarded. Late war versions exist in painted or plastic formats.

Ausbildungsklasse (Sharpshooters class)

Introduced in 1938. The same badge but with a silver oakleaf wreath added.

The test in this case was 10 rounds each in the prone postition both supported and unsupported, kneeling and standing positions.

By the end of 1943, there had been 31,904 badges awarded.

Sonderklasse (Special class or Champion shots)

Introduced 3rd Dec.1941

Same tests as the previous badge but this required a higher points score.

The wreath was finished in gold.

By the end of 1943, a total of 852 badges awarded.

Cheers, Ade.
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 05-18-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Out of date info

?

hi ade, thats fantastic info now i can stop guessing , cheers dave

Hi Dave, it is my pleasure.

As a footnote, a mate of mine is in the process of buying a former .22 HJ training rifle. Once his firearm cert comes back from the Police for the variation we will be shooting it at the range.

Cheers, Ade.

With respect, your information on the shooting badges is incorrect. I suspect you got it from the Angolia book but he got it totally wrong. The badge you show is the HJ Scharfschützenabzeichen and not the Sonderklasse. There is an excellent article here on these badges (full membership needed to view) and he shows that the Anfänger, Ausbildungs and Sonderklasse were all stages through which all HJ and DJ shooters had to progress. If they successfully completed the Sonderklasse they were eligible for the award of the basic HJ shooting badge. The sharpshooter and the later master shot badges were separate entities. Just thought I would clear that up

Edit: some of the information from the article was posted on Axis History here for those who are not members of the HJ forum
    Last edited by Norku32; 05-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Thank for the correction! It is good that old info is updated. As time moves on info gets better, which is good.

I have copied the info from the AHF so we have it here in case the link dies at any time in the future:

Anfängerklasse )
    Ausbildungsklasse )...................Basic badge
    Sonderklasse )

Scharfschütze...........................Badge with silver wreath

Meisterschütze..........................Badge with gold wreath

Basic shooting badge:

Date of introduction: 1st of January 1936

The weapon used was the 5.56mm DSM (Deutsches Sport Modell)

All boys started in the Anfängerklasse. Once they had satisfied the marksmanship requirements in this class they were moved to the next highest group. The boys had to maintain the level of this next group otherwise they would be 'demoted' back down to the previous level. The aim was to reach the Sonderklasse. Once the standards required in the Sonderklasse had been met the boy was then eligible for the award of the basic HJ shooting badge (DJ leaders were also eligible to shoot for this badge).

The following requirements had to met for each class:

The target distance was 50m. The target was a square of thick paper containing a circle (33cm diameter) with 12 rings. The outer ring was worth 1 point, the inner ring 12 points.

Anfängerklasse:
    Prone position with weapon supported. Must achieve 25 points with no single shot being worth less than 4 points unless target is hit 5 times.

Prone position weapon unsupported. Must achieve 20 points with no single shot being worth less than 3 points unless target is hit 5 times.

Ausbildildungsklasse:
    Prone position with weapon supported. Must achieve 35 points with no single shot being worth less than 6 points unless target is hit 5 times.

Prone position weapon unsupported. Must achieve 30 points with no single shot being worth less than 5 unless target is hit 5 times.

Sonderklasse:
    Prone position with weapon supported. Must achieve 45 points with no single shot being worth less than 8 points unless target is hit 5 times.

Prone position weapon unsupported. Must achieve 40 points with no single shot being worth less than 7 points unless target is hit 5 times.

Kneeling position. Must achieve 30 points with no single shot being worth less than 5 points unless target is hit 5 times.

After completing these three classes, a boy had qualified for the basic badge.

Scharfschütze

A further level of shooting badge, the Scharfschütze badge, was introduced in 1938 to reward the particularly good marksmen. It was accompanied by a special Scharfschütze shooting book. The requirements for the award of this new badge were as follows:

Standard HJ target at 50m.

Prone (weapon supported) - 10 shots must achieve at least 80 points
    Prone (weapon unsupported) - 10 shots must achieve at least 75 points
    Kneeling position - 10 shots must achieve at least 60 points
    Standing (weapon unsupported) - 10 shots must achieve at least 45 points

Prone (weapon unsupported) - 5 shots )
    Kneeling - 5 shots ) must achieve a combined total of
    Standing - 5 shots ) 120 points

Rapid fire - 3 shots - all must hit the scoring area of the target. Time to complete: 1 minute

The following, and last, part of the Scharfschütze test was shot on a 'Figurenscheibe'. There is an example of this target shown later in the thread

Prone (weapon unsupported) - 5 shots three of which must hit the target.

Meisterschütze:

On the 3rd of December 1941 a further, and final, class of badge - 'Meisterschütze' was introduced along with a Meisterschiütze shooting book.

The requirements for the award of this new badge were as follows:

Standard HJ target at 50m.

Prone (weapon supported) - 10 shots must achieve at least 85 points
    Prone (weapon unsupported) - 10 shots must achieve at least 80 points
    Kneeling position - 10 shots must achieve at least 75 points
    Standing (weapon unsupported) - 10 shots must achieve at least 65 points

Prone (weapon unsupported) - 5 shots )
    Kneeling - 5 shots ) must achieve a combined total of
    Standing - 5 shots ) 140 points

Prone (weapon unsupported) - 10 shots. All ten must hit the target.
    (The following test was shot on the Figurenscheibe target shown later in the thread):
    Prone (weapon unsupported) - 5 shots rapid fire in 40 seconds. 4 must hit the target.
    (The following test was shot on a pistol Figurenscheibe):
    Standing (weapon unsupported) - Rapid fire - 15 shots. Shots to be taken in groups of 5 and within 30secs. 130 points must be achieved with 15 shots.

Only the highest awarded level of the badge was worn on the HJ or DJ uniform and they were worn on the right breast pocket and below the Leistungsabzeichen. Adults wore the badge on the left breast pocket of any uniform.

The numbers of each badge awarded by 1943 were:

HJ basic shooting badge: 273,545
    Scharfschütze: 31,904
    Meisterschütze: 852