Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

57er Ritterkreuz

Article about: Of all the 57er awards I have purchased over the past few weeks, this is the one that has probably caused me the most problems. Before I buy anything I like to research the item as thoroughl

Default 57er Ritterkreuz

Of all the 57er awards I have purchased over the past few weeks, this is the one that has probably caused me the most problems. Before I buy anything I like to research the item as thoroughly as I can before making a decision. I have read on this forum, Wehrmacht Awards, and GMIC about the different variations of frames and cores of the 57er Knights cross. and I have to admit that I am still as baffled as I was before... Silver frames, silver plated alloy frames, frosted frames, sand blasted frames, frames marked with silver content - even when plated, and frames not marked at all. There are 1st pattern magnetic cores, non magnetic cores, and 2nd pattern magnetic and non magnetic cores to contend with. Then there are the cores which are painted AFTER assembly, and much of the opinion (I think) points at this being done to the later pattern 'D' frames. Then of course there is the discussion on how the quality deteriorated to the point where the award was pretty much described as being just short of 'junk'. I have even seen pictures of the very late RK's fitted with the same suspension loop as the EK11, and then fitted with a ring very much in the style of the wartime field converted EK11's to be worn as an RK. So it was with some trepidation that I purchased my first - and possibly last 57er RK. I should point out that the box in which it is housed is a reproduction that was purchased by me. The soldering to the frame is much neater than the pictures show, and the frosted frame is the same finish and texture as on the back of my DKiG. Condition is excellent, with just slight paint loss to the core on the highlights. So for what it is worth, here are the pictures... click on images to enlarge.

57er Ritterkreuz57er Ritterkreuz57er Ritterkreuz57er Ritterkreuz

after I made the purchase I set about doing some more research to this 57er award, and I trawled through previous sales on e-medals and came across one particular example that had a letter of authenticity from respected dealer Detlev Niemann. Accompanying the C of A was a letter of provenance which attested to the fact that the Ritterkreuz was the one owned by Bundeswehr Colonel of Reserves, Wolfram Kurtz who retired from his post in 1967. Detlev Niemann sold the medal for 250 euro's in October 2007, and when it came up for auction again in April 2019, it went for 1,126 euro's. See attached pictures of the medal... click on images to enlarge.

57er Ritterkreuz57er Ritterkreuz57er Ritterkreuz

It is clear from the pictures that the cross has the 2nd pattern core, the acorns are touching the oakleaves... and it is also clear that the core has been painted AFTER assembly. But if this is the Ritterkreuz which was owned by Kurtz, then you would assume that he probably purchased it before 1967, the year of his retirement... unless of course he had more than one cross. A further search revealed another cross with the 1st pattern core which had also been painted AFTER assembly... and there were other examples too. I have included two more images... one with a 1st pattern core, and the other with a 2nd. So just what is the truth about the cores painted after assembly? just how far through the production run did this actually happen? It is clearly obvious that it wasn't just done to the later 'D' frame crosses. And more to the point, is my example a very late version... or just a 'later' version? Click on images to enlarge.

57er Ritterkreuz57er Ritterkreuz

Cheers,
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 57er Ritterkreuz
    P
    Many

Your cross is a late production 2nd pattern St&L "D"-frame, sand blasted and probably unmagnetic. I would date it to the 1980's. It's still a decent piece and a good one to have.

The RK from Wolfram Kertz is not the one he wore. While he may have had more than one piece, it is known that some vets bought additional later sets. They then could give them away as present or send them out to collectors per request.

Small traces of paint on the frame are not unusual. The core of earlier crosses and even wartimers of any EK class were often touched up after assembly.

The last RK with oakleaves you're showing, is a 'Morigi fake' or a cast of one.

Regards,
    Nick

Thanks for the information Nick. I do quite like the medal and I have absolutely no regrets in purchasing it, the added bonus of course being the quite low price!

Cheers,
    Steve