MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I would like to hear opinion from members on this recent acquisition. It was offered as a GSG9 helmet at a GSG9 helmet price but I didn't have to look too hard to see t

Default Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

Good afternoon gents,

I would like to hear opinion from members on this recent acquisition.

It was offered as a GSG9 helmet at a GSG9 helmet price but I didn't have to look too hard to see that it does not look like a GSG9 type that we are used to seeing.

Anyway, I liked the look of it so snapped it up. I think it is something much more unusual than a GSG helmet but I would like to hear what the membership think before I state my opinion.

As the pics show it is in 99% mint condition and appears completely unworn apart from people like us trying it on!

I think I have scored rather well here so I hope nobody has any horrors to reveal

Let me know what is the feeling or if anyone has factual info that would be great.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion   Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion   Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion   Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-16-2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion
    P
    Many

Looks like a nice original early helmet to me well done

Well, it seems this is a bit more unusual than I thought.

I believe this is an early Bundeswehr trial helmet which was originally produced for the newly reformed Fallschirmjaeger. They trialled this helmet as one of several types and eventually selected the M1 "style" that we all are familiar with. I do wonder if image had anything to do with it as I must say that this is a very practical and comfortable helmet not dissimilar to the British HSAT. I would willingly jump with a lid like this even in these days of Kevlar / composite lids. Of course, it has obvious similarity of appearance to the WWII item. Perhaps this was adjudged unsuitable for a new and closely co-operating member of NATO?

As we know the BGS were not phased by such appearances and they adopted this design (with different liner and redesigned chinstrap) as they did the M35 helmet shape (also a different liner) but then they were a much more "internal security force" and less likely to mix with other NATO forces.

Anyway, this is not a mainstream BW helmet nor is it BGS / GSG.
    In terms of the steel helmet timeline of the German forces I think this is a bit of a gem but can anybody out there give me some facts please?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-17-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Great pick up Mark and it looks in cherry condition

Semper Fi
    Phil

I started off thinking I had seen pictures of a number of the early West German LL helmets and was concerned that I didn't remember any with the spanner bolts similar to those on the wartime FJ helmets. My first bits of research (web and books only as I have none of these highly desirable objects in real life) seemed to confirm my suspicions, but then checking the Wehrmacht Awards site seemed to bring better news. Mark, take a look here - lots of information - Para Helmet - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

(NB I am by no stretch of the imagination a para helmet expert!)

?

I too am doubtful about it. I have not seen spanner bolts on BW Versuchs LL helmets, nor are any shown in the examples illustrated in Baer II pp.132-43. Versuchs LL helmets are all pianted olive and the liners in chin-straps are either of a rather makeshift nature or adapted from other helmets. The liner on this one looks too finished.

Here is an example with a Linnemann Schnetzler body and a Römer liner.Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

?

Here is another, the liner resembles that of the old FJ helmet, but the band is made of fibre. THe body is a cut-down non-magnetic Schwedenstahl Helm 1 body.Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion
    Attached Images Attached Images Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion  Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussion 

?

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

Examples from a US evaluation from the 1960s. The liner is similar to the one on this Schuberth Versuchs LL helmet

Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

Default Is this a Replica or did I get Lucky

G'day, hoping to get some opinions on this. I bought this probably 10 years ago as a repro on ebay. I was going through my collection after I purchased a Post war BGS GSG9 Helmet from a trusted seller in the Netherlands today. I am looking to make room for the new Lid and I grabbed a helmet which has always provided me with much curiosity for years. I don't mind repro they have their place for gap filling etc but on condition a repro is sold as a repro and not pretending to an original. I bought this very cheaply as a repro, I don't expect it to be anything else but. I have a few other repro M38 and a repro M37 couple bought from the U.S and others locally and origin unknown that have been mocked up. None have this type of edge. I would love an original M38 but $$$$$ I have looked at articles and posts all over, still confused. I believe this to be a modern reproduction, however the reason I always question this is the rim on the edge, all other helmets of this type i have seen till now are rolled edge however this has an edge like a U.S M1 . To be honest my knowledge of most German militaria is limited and a large purchase would be done at a reputable dealer. I have read that early post war models ( model ) varied , had small differences in the hardware as they were essentially trials, so there is the potential for differences. Please don't shoot me on this its just what I have read . Only ones with this type of edge seem to be post war. This is why I am finally posting to get the info . Really appreciate any info you guru's can provide.
    Early post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussionEarly post war para helmet for opinion / discussion

my apologies if photos are all over the place , not experienced with forums.

Hello,

The discussion about the origin of these helmets has been going on for a long time.
    They range from fake to navy to a test helmet of the early Bundeswehr paratroopers.

I also own helmets of this type and have so far been able to determine two variants with different screws and inner helmet manufacturers.

In advance:

I consider these helmets to be originals and products of the early Federal Republic of Germany. Due to the production method and the material, I consider counterfeiting to be excluded.

The only question is when, where and for whom were these helmets used.

The color is slate gray ... like the inner helmets of the early M1 Bundeswehr helmets.

Just like the early M1 helmets used by the Bundeswehr, they also have a welded-on edge made of stainless steel.
    The interior fittings are based on those of the M38 helmets, but not identical.

Baer speaks in his book (Der Deutschen Stahlhelm Volume II) that it

- at least 12 different helmet shells
    and
    - 4 different interior fittings

gave.

In addition, there are probably hand samples and the manufacturers' own concept studies.

He also wrote that there are no more written awards or have been found.

Regards

The different variants have so far not been conclusively listed or researched anywhere, not even at Baer. He also makes explicit reference to this fact.

So it has so far neither been confirmed nor refuted that this model is an early test helmet for the Bundeswehr. According to the facts up to now, neither one nor the other is possible without a doubt.
    And in my opinion, gut instinct, belief or opinions alone are by far not enough.

There have also been trials with such a helmet model at the German Navy.

As far as I know, the area of ​​early police has not yet been examined in detail.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast