Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

German 57er Abzeichen

Article about: Ever since being 'imprisoned' in my home because of the virus lockdown, I have been scouring eBay de for German 57er awards. And in the past three months I have found some very nice early an

Default German 57er Abzeichen

Ever since being 'imprisoned' in my home because of the virus lockdown, I have been scouring eBay de for German 57er awards. And in the past three months I have found some very nice early and later examples, so here you go.... Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen

The 'Verwundetenabzeichen' illustrated below is actually a wartime badge which has been de-nazified. Makers mark of L/14 is for Friedrich Orth (Wien)

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen

The next badge is a late 57er silver wound badge...

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen

And the other abzeichen...

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen

I've not been entirely sure about this one, it seems to be lacking in detail, but the catch looks fine...

A smaller version of the same abzeichen....

German 57er Abzeichen

The 'Fallschirmschutzenabzeichen der Luftwaffe'.

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German 57er Abzeichen
    P
    Many

?

WOW! a great collection of them. what site did you go to and if E-BAY, what did you punch in?

Hi Steve,

I too really like the early '57 pieces and to me they are a crucial part of the time line of German military awards. The early ones are of course the ones prduced for veterans serving in the newly formed BW rather than for collectors as the later ones undoubtedly are. The early ones are also far better quality than later productions in which I have no interest.

To me the '57 awards are important because they evidenced the hard won experience of the veterans within the profession who should be identified next to the brand new post war recruit with none at all

The point that many people overlook is that these awards were about recognising experience and nothing at all to do with commemorating the TR. In fact only purely military awards were authorised and Nazi awards were expressly excluded by the legislation that authorised these badges.

Here's a few items I just grabbed out of my shelves to see if they provoke any interest here. They are all early to mid period and if anybody does have an interest in a closer look we might have a good thread here!

Regards

Mark

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by toot View Post
    WOW! a great collection of them. what site did you go to and if E-BAY, what did you punch in?
    They were acquired from eBay (UK), and eBay Germany - as well as some private deals. If you search on eBay Germany, type in '57er orden' into the search box.

Hi Mark,

Something else that has to be taken into account with these medals is that when the 'wall' was torn down in November 1989, there was a whole new bunch of German veterans who were just itching to purchase the 57er awards. They would have only been in their early 60's, and for them to attend reunions wearing their hard-won awards for the first time since the end of the war must have been something very special to them. My example of the Ritterkreuz is probably from the mid 1980's, and just still inside the timeframe for when the quality was still reasonably good. With the abzeichen it is not really possible to put a date on manufacture apart from 'solid' hinge blocks indicate pre 1968 construction, and 'open' hinge blocks indicate post 1968 construction. I would imagine that like with the Knights Cross, quality started to take a nosedive from about the 1990's as fewer and fewer veterans were around to purchase them.

My two examples of the EK1 are early with the magnetic core, and later with the non magnetic core. Quality of both awards is extremely good, with the main difference being the thickness of the later award. For those who have not seen them, here are the other awards I obtained during 'lockdown'. My favourite being the 'field converted' EK11 to 'Ritterkreuz', although it is not a 57er award! Click on images to enlarge

Cheers,
    Steve

German 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er AbzeichenGerman 57er Abzeichen