Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German post war gravity knife.

Article about: Hi can anyone tell me anything about this knife. I for one have never seen another one. Not sure what it is or how old. Any help will be appreciated. Barry

Default Re: German post war gravity knife.

Here's my post 1963 version. I got this at a local militaria fair in the late 80's or early 90's (can't remember exactly when). I think it cost me about £30. I've no idea if that was cheap or expensive back then but I'm pleased I got it as I've never seen another for sale since (I'm sure they are out there but I've just not seen them).
    It's marked with the BW on the grips and the blade is marked OFW 78. I presume 78 is the date but does anyone know who OFW, who I presume is the maker, is? It's probably someone dead obvious when I find out who but at the moment I'm stumped.
    The blade is in mint condition near enough, never been sharpened and looks like it was never used? The grips etc show signs of the knife being carried.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German post war gravity knife.   German post war gravity knife.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German post war gravity knife.
    P
    Many

Hi !

30,-- Pounds was expensive then ...

Your knife is in a very good condition but it seems, that two rivets in the grip are missing.

Otto Förster Witzhelden manufactured this knife in 1978.

Rgds.,

R.

Hi Reibert, thanks for your reply.

£30 was expensive? Oh well, never mind! I'm pleased I got it when I did though and I was happy enough paying the £30 at the time which I guess is what matters!!

The rivets are in place, they like counter-sunk, both grips are the same - maybe a manufacturing variation?

Otto Förster Witzhelden - excellent, it's good to know who made it.

Mike

The rivets 'are' countersunk. The same as mine. I got mine about a couple of yrs. ago from SOG for $50. They still sell them.

German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.Want to show you this interesting images of the 1956 pattern gravity knife "in use".
    This images were published in an other forum but I do have the permission, to use them.

There:
    Pattern 56 gravity knives
    you can find another manufacturer´s logo / trademark of Othello / Anton Wingen Jr.German post war gravity knife.
    DBGM stands for:
    Deutsches Bundes-Gebrauchsmuster'

Just a word to the wise on gravity knives in UK

Section 1 of the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 (yep 1959 that's not a typo)

States

" (1) Any person who manufactures, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, or exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire or lends or gives to any other person—

(a) any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes known as a flick knife or "flick gun"; or
    (b) any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a gravity knife,

shall be guilty of an offence.

There are defences and arguments and there has been more restrictive legislation since which I don't mean to start a discussion on.

I just wanted to point out that it has been something of an issue for more than 60 years. So, whilst it is for the prosecution to prove an offence that won't stop you getting "nicked" on suspicion.

Regards

Mark

PS The more recent legislation refers specifically to possession in a public place so the buyer as well as the seller is in the frame.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

additional:
    German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.

Here are photos of another Kappmesser / Fallmesser Bundeswehr M1956

Such gravity knives were coveted souvenirs by the GIs stationed in Germany.
    The Americans were very happy to exchange this gravity knife from the Bundeswehr paratroopers and bring it with them to the States.

The quality of the M1956 cord cutter knife can be described as relatively poor and this knife usually did not withstand harder use for long and various parts broke off very easily ...

Precisely for this reason, it is hardly possible to obtain an M1956 in good condition nowadays, especially since the possession of such gravity knives is prohibited in some countries.
    German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.

In Germany, some collectors believe that owning a gravity knife is legal if the blade and handle are kept separate.
    With the Kappmesser Bundeswehr Modell 1963 (M1963), disassembling the individual components is not difficult and easy to do.
    Bundeswehr gravity knife 1963 pattern

With the M1956, on the other hand, things are quite different! ...
    In my opinion, disassembling the M1956 causes serious damage to the knife !

Some pictures:
    German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.German post war gravity knife.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast