Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Identification

Article about: Hi All, The attached helmet was given to me, this had been sat in someone's wardrobe for some time.I would like to know if this is a mishmash of parts/post-war referb or just a post war prod

Default Helmet Identification

Hi All,

The attached helmet was given to me, this had been sat in someone's wardrobe for some time.I would like to know if this is a mishmash of parts/post-war referb or just a post war produced item.

The shell once had decals either side but these have at some time been removed .
    The rear of the shell is stamped, what looks like Q64 there's also something stamped below this but I can't make it out.

The liner appears to have two alloy bands, the leather has an oval stamp, can't make out the writing around the outside, and a date in the centre 195?I

Any info greatly appreciated.

Addicted
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Identification   Helmet Identification  

Helmet Identification   Helmet Identification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet Identification
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I would like better photos as I really can't tell much from these. If it is a Q64, it would be a rare example. The marks below the Q64 would most likely be the Lot number.

Either way, the helmet has been messed with as it should have no decals. Liner band should be steel and a single band.

Again, clear photos are a must. Have the spit pins been bent or are they flat?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, try to ask our mate ogpsycho
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/member.php?u=37569

The stamp 6.P.O. in the rectangle reminds me on stampings, marked in the liners of German Police helmets of the 50´s, and, 60´s.

But, as far as I know, the German police after ´45 don´t used wartime -helmets, they received helmets, manufatured from the 50´s on in Germany by several makers.
    The German BGS, (Bundesgrenzschutz), on the other hand, used remaining helmets of the Wehrmacht in the early days.

BTW, very nice M42 !

Hi,

I have tried to get some better pics, these are the best I can manage I'm afraid.
    The helmet cover was on it when I got the helmet.

The three pins that go through the shell are not a flush or a tight fit, although the liner is not loose.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Identification   Helmet Identification  

Hello,

the PO stamp as a police approval existed before 1945.

Here we have no police acceptance, which "Po." or "Po" is written in letters but an authority code.

S.P.O. could mean Schutzpolizei, district Postdam, Wache Oranienburg.

Regards

Hi,
    Thanks sleepwalking for the info.
    Do you know if this would have had decals? if it is indeed a post war Police helmet.

Regards,

Hello,

so after 1945 this stamp was no longer used.

The badges may have been scratched off or someone wanted to look under the paint to see if there were any badges left.

Have the helmet pins been opened?

Hi,

I managed to carefully pull the second band out slightly and the pins are folded flat against the band underneath.
    Although the band and the pins are tight and secure, they are not flush with the outer surface of the shell.

Where the decals have been removed its pretty much just bare metal, although saying that I don't think they were decals but painted insignia.

One from the discoloration looks like the National flag colours, the other side has remnants of black paint.