Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New 1957er Ostmedaille

Article about: Here is my latest acquisition, a 1957 model Ostmedaille, AKA Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" or Winterschlachtmedaille. It came complete with a miniature medal for wear

?

I think those from 1957 were made of synthetic material

What do you think
    if I use violet light if it will light up?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New 1957er Ostmedaille
    P
    Many

?

Ribbon device is a nice bonus...the vast majority of vets didn't choose to wear devices on the ribbon bar

Quote by Brig View Post
    Ribbon device is a nice bonus...the vast majority of vets didn't choose to wear devices on the ribbon bar
    Personally, I consider the rare ribbon bar device to the Ostmedaille to be of an unofficial nature. It is certainly redundant, as the ribbon is specific to this award and the medal came in one class only.

Sure enough, the Bundeswehr uniform regulations also state:

"Auf der Bandschnalle werden alle tragbaren Orden und Ehrenzeichen dargestellt. Die Darstellung erfolgt bei der niedrigsten Klasse einer Auszeichnung durch das Ordensband, bei weiteren Stufen durch Auflage einer Verkleinerung des Ordenszeichens oder durch Rosetten und Gold- bzw. Silbersteg. Bei Orden und Ehrenzeichen ohne Ordensband (z. B. Deutsches Rotes Kreuz, Kampfabzeichen) wird die verkleinerte Nachbildung der Dekoration auf einer schwarzen Bandunterlage befestigt."

["All wearable orders and decorations are represented on the ribbon bar. The lowest class of an award is represented by the ribbon; additional grades by the application of a miniature of the decoration or by rosettes and, respectively, gold- or silver lace bars. In case of orders and decorations without a ribbon (e.g. German Red Cross, Combat Badges) the miniature version of the decoration is mounted on a black ribbon underlay."]

(Ouote from the 1997 version, translation by me.)

This means that miniature devices are only to be used to distinguish awards that come in different grades or that have no ribbon.

Oddly, the swords devices for awards that came with or without swords are not explicitly mentioned, but their use is somewhat self-evident and follows time-honored practices.

Quote by emo155 View Post
    I think those from 1957 were made of synthetic material
    No, not per se. I don't know the supplier(s), but I think St&L didn't use synthetic materials until the 1980's (?) or later. The early post war ribbons are of the same construction and material.

e.g. Differentiating a wartime RK ribbon from an early "57" comes down to counting the amount of white stitches.

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick Hessens; 01-20-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo

Did these osts come with bag of issue?I know of 3 manufacturer's for the medal Where would u get more info on theses 57 er osts.Thanx

?

Never seen one in a bag or envelope. Pretty sure they were purchased loose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2