Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58

Article about: Hello All, posting my latest acquisition a Rudolf Souval Knights Cross marked L/58 with oak leaves. I normally do not collect post war/early reproductions, but this one was too good to pass

Default Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58

Hello All, posting my latest acquisition a Rudolf Souval Knights Cross marked L/58 with oak leaves. I normally do not collect post war/early reproductions, but this one was too good to pass up. This item was at a local antique dealer being sold as fake/junk item for practically nothing. It was mounted in a case, so I initially could not see the L/58 marking on the reverse prior to purchase, but suspected it was there. I do have some questions for those who are more knowledgeable on these. The oak leaves, for example, are not hollow as I have seen on other Souval examples, and I am not 100% sure if they came with this KC or if they were added later. Also, on the earlier ones, were original ribbons used, or new ones made. The ribbon appears correct in construction, doesn't glow (for what that is worth) passes the burn test, and under magnification appears authentic. What did strike me about this example was the relatively high level of build quality. No serious die flaws, dates are clearly defined, soldering lines very clean. Quality wise it is on par with many EKII's in my collection. Look forward to hearing from anyone more knowledgeable about these. Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58
    P
    Many

?

I bought one a few years ago from a friend at my local flea market for what I thought was a reasonable price ($300) . It looked like yours in nearly every aspect except for the makers mark L/12 for Junkers if I can remember correctly. It was a good deal IMO at the time. I felt it was either an original piece or a damn good copy of an original..if not a jeweler's copy.

Apparently the Souval Ritterkreuz was made as a replacement, and for collectors too. As they didn't make them during the war you would have to assume that unless they obtained original wartime ribbons from another source, they probably used the ST&L 57er ribbons. I am by no means knowledgeable on these crosses, I only recently took an interest in them. But I would hazard a guess that your post war copy cost very much less than I recently paid for a wartime field modified EK11 hung and worn as a Ritterkreuz. The ribbon is actually two lengths of EK11 ribbon stitched along the border of the red band and then opened out, you can just see the seam in the picture. I saw a post war copy for sale by 'Tiger Collectibles' just recently, but someone beat me to it, and that one was £350.

Cheers,
    Steve

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes L/58

MAP
    ?

If it was bargain basement pricing I would have bought it too.

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You got yourself an early postwar Souval RK with matching Souval Oaks, probably of the semi-hollow type. Not sure where they sourced their early ribbons from, whether wartime leftover stock or just postwar made. One would need to match the red shade to a wartimer, count the amount of white stitches and find out if it's UV-negative in order to say anything more.

Sounds like you got a real bargain, a set like this (with postwar ribbon) would set you back anywhere from €400 to €650 these days.

Regards,
    Nick