Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Another late war M1 Helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I hope you do not mind me posting a question on another helmet I just bought. It is a rear-seam late war US WWII shell, with it's straps intact. The question I want to ask ci

For me
    Early: 41-42
    Mid:43-jan-June 44
    Late: Aug44- war end
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I agree w Marty above. Manufacturing dates and things like that I take with a grain of salt. To be honest I feel like the data on these is loosey goosey and not an exact science. I’ve read one experts opinion discount another’s time and time again on this. (And on other points paint for example). Your helmet was probably made in early 1945 with a 4 digit batch number. How long these took to get into service ... to the QM and on a soldiers head is anyone’s guess.
    Z

Hello everyone, I have managed to find a nice late war Firestone liner for my M1 Helmet. I have never worn one before, and the suspension does not feel comfortable at all. I feel like removing the shoelace and re- tightening it to my standards. Any opinions on this?

The body of the shell is not too straight, and when it is inserted inside of the shell it gets too tight to remove.

The liner did not come with the sweatband, nape or chinstrap- I will be seeking for those soon.

There are 2 rivet repairs located on the liner and the webbing seems to small for the washers themselves. Was this common in late war liners?

Here are the photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another late war M1 Helmet   Another late war M1 Helmet  

Another late war M1 Helmet   Another late war M1 Helmet  

Another late war M1 Helmet  

Hi Friend. Good late war liner. Looks like this one is missing some components as mentioned in an earlier response I wrote here. Looks like you chose a better condition liner but same lack of some pieces. This would explain the odd fit no doubt.

Are you a re enactor or just wanted to try it on?

I don’t usually wear my WW2 M1s personally. It is yours to do what you will though. I just usually display mine and not too much fiddling with it occurs.

I shouldnt say that. Sometimes I will wear it to the Grocery store or on Dates.... the Gym etc. same with my German lids. I get a lot of weird responses with this those though.
    Z

Hello, thanks for your response.

I was just a little excited because this was the first WW2 liner I managed to obtain at a decent price here in Europe.

I am going to go on a hunt for pieces- even the nape straps here are a bit expensive!

Yes they are. All the parts are going up in price . I found it more economical to get a new liner recently when I was looking for a Sweatband

Congrats on your new liner and good luck on the hunt!
    Z

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3