Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian M1?

Article about: This M1 is a recent pickup. At first I was sure it was a U.S.-made Canadian Army helmet from the late 1980’s / early 1990’s but, after finding unusual stamped markings on the front rim,

Default Canadian M1?

This M1 is a recent pickup. At first I was sure it was a U.S.-made Canadian Army helmet from the late 1980’s / early 1990’s but, after finding unusual stamped markings on the front rim, I’m no longer so sure. The marking appears to be LS Q 800 or 801 - does anyone know the manufacturer who would have used such a mark?

Canadian M1?
    Canadian M1?
    Canadian M1?
    Canadian M1?

?

Hi, your shell is a M48 Danish shell produced by the German manufacturer Linneman Schnetzer (LS) seen on your last photo.
    R.J. Stamping a Canadian Firm did produced M1 helmet shells from 1970 to 1976 for a total of 1,825,000 shells. Their stamping is 3 digit, located inside the shell not on the rim, the end of production ended in the 900 (1976). Jack

It is a Linnemann & Schnetzer Euroclone alright, but it's not Danish. LS only made Danish helmets in late 1950s and early 1960s and they are ink marked in the dome. The Dutch M58 from LS was rim stamped so it could be Dutch. But I am not an expert on the markings in the Dutch helmets so I can't say for certain.

?

Hi, you are right, Germany & Austria produced clone M1s shells. Before them, in 1957 Denmark produced their own clones. Sometime they would stamp the soldier's matriculation on the rim! There is my mistake, I confused the matriculation number for the manufacturer stamp. I can now say that a German or Austrian clone shell is well a German or Austrian clone shell bought by such or such country. Thanks for your post.

Actually, Denmark never produced their own M48 shells. The ones often referred to as Danish made was made by Diaward Steel Works in Hong Kong. The military issue version had no markings at all but the civil defense version had serial numbers in the rim.
    Twthmoses has posted this superb article about the Diaward helmet: Danish M/48 helmet Part 2 (1951-1952), second batch, The Diaward M1 Helmet.

?

Great information, very detailed. Now I'll have a close look at the Danish shell in my possession to see who manufactured it. Thanks

The rim stamp looks like the LS helmets made for The Netherlands. LS speaks for itself, the Q baffles me, then the 80 denotes the year and last digit indicates the month.

Linnemann-Schnetzer produced these helmets for The Netherlands from 1958 (i.e. LS58-B13) until 1983 (i.e. LS 83 7).

The chinstrap is not Dutch nor is the liner, so I am not at all sure about the provenance.

Cheers,
    Emile