Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment

Article about: Bit of history on the Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment. This subject requires more research, as I have not been able to locate a sample nor g

Default Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment

Bit of history on the Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment.

This subject requires more research, as I have not been able to locate a sample nor get enough details…

The Glastic M/48 helmet experiment
    In about April 1953, Forsvarets Krigsmaterielforvaltning (FKF) started a plastic helmet project. The idea was to replace the steel shell of the M/48 with a bulletproof and lighter plastic shell. Chief Physician H.H Zimsen, who just returned from the Danish hospital ship Jutlandia, on mission with the UN during the Korean War, was undoubtful an inspiration for the project. Zimsen came back with firsthand knowledge of the effects and efficiently of the fragmentation vests made by the US and being tested by US/UN forces in the war. He himself had worn one. In the following month, he public voiced his enthusiasm for the US vests and that he wished the Danish armed forces were equipped with these.

Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment
    Press photo. Second from left, Chief Physician H.H Zimsen in Korea 1953. Wearing one of the about 1000 sets of US fragmentation vests tested during the war.

With the help of three Danish plastic manufacturing companies, FKF developed a new bulletproof M/48 plastic shell. The press called them Glastic-helmets. The three companies are unknown to me; the press never names them. A good guess is that one of the companies was “Dansk kunststof industry” that based on it was one of the pioneers in the Danish plastic industry and at the same time, they sold plastic products made of Glastic. Glastic being a fiberglass reinforced thermoset polyester material.

They were using a technic commercialized and patent in 1952 by The Glastic Company (Cleveland, Ohio), pultrusion, a technic the plastic industry as a whole was slow to notice. This in combination with some thermoset resins. The newspapers listed the material as primary glass wool, synthetic resin and plastic, - suggesting other elements was in the mix too. Somehow, the Danish Army and Danish plastic industry suddenly found themselves using innovative technology and having a fine product to show. So sure, of the product, a big announcement where made in March 1954. The press literally called the helmet a military epochal invention.

The new Glastic helmet weight 900g, vs. the about 1400g of the current M/48 helmet. While many experiments still was outstanding, some ballistic tests had already been conducted, releasing photo material to show just that, during the March 1954 announcement. While working on the helmet, a fragmentation vest were also envisioned, weighing around 3,5kg, though its form was not yet finalized. It was specified said, these vests was of the same material, as those made by the USA, being tested in Korea. The announcement also said that 250 sets of helmets and vests was ordered, for further tests.

Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experimentDanish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment
    Danish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experimentDanish M/48 helmet, Part 3 (1953-1960), the Glastic shell, an M1 shell experiment
    Image 1-2 Press photo. Conscript engineer Landberg of Forsvarets Krigsmaterielforvaltning (FKF), showing the new Glastic helmet (right) and the old M/48 helmet (left). March 1954.
    Image 3-4 Press photo. Ballistic tests images

On 7. July 1954 Chief scientific and technical Director, Dr. Ralph Siu of US Army Quartermaster Corps visited Forsvarets Krigsmaterielforvaltning in Denmark, to be acquainted with the research around this new helmet type and production method. This visit and probably some helmet samples, led to a November 1954 confidential (changed to Unclassified 16. August 1979) Watertown Arsenal Laboratory report, “Ballistic and Metallurgical Evaluation of a Danish Helmet” (WAL.710/1050). Have not managed to get my hands on the report.

In September 1954, an announcement was made that the Danish Defense was to purchase 100.000 new Glastic helmets over the next couple of years. To begin with, a Motorcycle helmet version was manufactured of the same material and distributed to the Defense motor school, the Military police school and Zealand Logistic Regiment for testing.

Whatever happened, I cannot say. These Glastic helmets nor vests never materialized in any meaningful quantities. The above Motorcycle helmet version did materialize, as the M/57 helmet for Army Motor ordonnances. No Glastic helmet was purchased, however 100-150.000 plastic liners M/58 for the M/48 steel shell was manufactured, and it is not a stretch to assume these plastic liner was either the intended liner for the Glastic helmet, or a product of the Glastic experiment. It rather safe to assume that these helmets was not so “bulletproof” as initial assumed by the press. It’s also fairly safe so assume that it’s one thing to make something “bulletproof” in a controlled environment, like a laboratory, its entirely another thing to make it continually work in an uncontrollable environment, where water, sun and temperature continually work to degrade your material. As we all known, budget is always a hinderers for free flowing ideas, no matter how good they are.

Image 1 : Army Motor ordonnances from Prinsens Livregiment with M/57 helmet, 1960
    Image 2 : Military Police with M/57 helmet, 1961.

That the project was still not entirely dead by 1960 is the Female corps request for helmets an example of. In late 1960, Lottekorps and Luftmeldekorpset requested the Defense ministry for helmets. The response at that time was the experimental Danish produced plastic helmet project was still ongoing. They simply had to wait for the project to conclude. In September 1961, they once again applied the Defense ministry for 18.000 helmets. This time, again stating that the plastic helmet project was still ongoing, the Defense ministry directing Forsvarets Materielnævn (Defense equipment board) to investigate how these corps' could be equipped with helmet. Forsvarets Materielnævn is the formal forum between the Defense and the civil industry.

Lottekorps and Luftmeldekorpset was equipped with M1 helmet of Euro clone make, U.SCH in 1963, thus it can be assumed that the Glastic bulletproof helmet project was by that time terminated.

On a little side note. In 1963, Helmuth Badenhoff and two accomplishes was charged in, at that time, Denmark largest case of monetary fraud, involving loan contracts and document forgery. One, of many, clouded points in that case was the involvement of the then deceased lawyer Tage Larsson. Very interesting, on one of the loan contracts brought up in court, Helmuth Badenhoff was signing debtor, for a loan of 1.5 million DKK to Tage Larsson, for investment in the production of bulletproof helmets and vests in 1953!

… Continues in
    - Part 4 (1957-1971), the plastic liner M/58 and LS & U.SCH shells
    - Part 5 (1970s-2010), the end of the M1 helmet in Danish service.
    - Part 6, a general overview of Danish modifications to shells and liners.

MAP
    ?

Very informative thread. Thanks for the info
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Again a really good thread Thank You.

Really very interesting.

It is noteworthy that at the beginning of the 1950s there were attempts to develop and introduce a balistic plastic helmet within western European countries.
    It should be part of a common uniform of the planned EVG (European Defense Community).
    So West Germany also proposed such a balistic helmet with an outer shell made of aluminum for introduction in 1952.
    This goal failed in 1954 due to the French veto and everything remained a national matter.
    Here, however, there was never a large production or an attempt to wear it. It was also decided here to introduce the US model.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Really very interesting.

It is noteworthy that at the beginning of the 1950s there were attempts to develop and introduce a balistic plastic helmet within western European countries.
    It should be part of a common uniform of the planned EVG (European Defense Community).
    So West Germany also proposed such a balistic helmet with an outer shell made of aluminum for introduction in 1952.
    This goal failed in 1954 due to the French veto and everything remained a national matter.
    Here, however, there was never a large production or an attempt to wear it. It was also decided here to introduce the US model.
    Sounds very intreasting! you have some good links or books on this subject? Was it a new helmet or also a M1 shell replacement?

Hello,

the only source I know so far is "From steel helmet to combat helmet" Volume 2 1919-1994 by Ludwig Baer.
    Correspondence is published there on page 44. From 1952 onwards, the introduction of a plastic helmet is required, which is to be worn by all Western European countries.
    This should consist of perlon and phenol or a composite material on the inside and have an outer layer of aluminum. This helmet should be bulletproof.

No more information can be found, except that no one has had any experience with such helmets.

After the failure of the EVG in 1954, all these plans had been rejected and instead the two-part US helmet according to the US-Belgian (Mle. 1951) was simply introduced.

In my opinion, the source of such information is the German military archive in Freiburg. You can request a search and then get the information if available.

First, may I say I am really enthusiastic about seeing parts 4,5 and 6.

Second, I've worked out why I missed this wonderful stuff - it's in the US M1 section, which I hardly ever look at on the basis that its all US helmets and not my covering my interest in European M1s. Must pay more attention!

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    First, may I say I am really enthusiastic about seeing parts 4,5 and 6.

Second, I've worked out why I missed this wonderful stuff - it's in the US M1 section, which I hardly ever look at on the basis that its all US helmets and not my covering my interest in European M1s. Must pay more attention!
    I’m glad you like it, I try my best - don’t mind all the spelling errors too much I’ll be finishing up the 3 remaining soon. Part 4 just bigger than expected. The M/58 liner just have too many versions . I’ll cook it down!

Well I think of the US M1 forum as all things related to the original US M1 helmet, including clones of all kinds. Maybe this is wrong? It’s like having an IBM PC forum, but all other PC’s are not welcome. Is this wrong thinking? Is this forum only for original US M1 helmets, and all other M1’s has to go somewhere else? Actually don’t know

Well, I'm definately not going to try telling you what to do, but The World Steel Helmets forum is where I visit regularly and would expect to see material on European and other M1 clones. I definately felt that the M1 forum was specifically for US M1 helmets of all periods. I wonder whether other people, like me, missed your postings because of that. On the other hand, I'm just happy to see your reesearch no matter where you post it.

Did Part 4/5/6 ever get published?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast