MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Fixed Bail M1 With Net

Article about: Hello all, hope your day is going well. This M1 arrived yesterday but I didn't have the time to post it. It's a fixed bail shell that has early brass chinstraps with I presume a British made

Default Fixed Bail M1 With Net

Hello all, hope your day is going well. This M1 arrived yesterday but I didn't have the time to post it. It's a fixed bail shell that has an early brass chinstraps with I presume a British made net and a late war CAPAC liner that has a "decal" (really just some paper glued to the front of the liner) of the Army Service Forces. Both sweat band and nape strap are from mid to late war as well. The helmet is in really great shape, there's almost no paint missing and I haven't been able to spot any dents. I'm really happy to finally have a WW2 M1 as it has been a big hole in my collection and this one displays very well. The chinstraps are a little too short to connect over the back of the helmet but I'm content with just letting them lay at the sides. The manufacture code 272B is in the shell and there's a what might be a laundry code on one of the liner straps. I got it from M1 helmet depot after reading about his store here and saving up some money from my summer job. Thank you for reading!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed Bail M1 With Net   Fixed Bail M1 With Net  

Fixed Bail M1 With Net   Fixed Bail M1 With Net  

Fixed Bail M1 With Net  
    Last edited by Politefaun; 08-20-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Love it !! I am just learning about these. I bought two in the last 4 months. A large area of research is involved with these. They are not easy. Your assumption of a British net stems from what ?
    D.

MAP
    ?

Congrats Steve!!! This one really looks the part!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by real steel View Post
    Love it !! I am just learning about these. I bought two in the last 4 months. A large area of research is involved with these. They are not easy. Your assumption of a British net stems from what ?
    D.
    Thank you for the compliment! Now from what I've read so far on M1 helmet nets, the army didn't have an official net for the M1 until 1944 and up until then soldiers either made their own from larger vehicle/cargo nets or were supplied with them by the British since they had a large amount of helmet nets for the Brodie MK2 which could fit the M1. Now I'm not sure if the US army paid the British for these or if the G.I.'s just took them, though I'm guessing the army had some sort of deal with the British. This net I'm 99% certain is British as I've seen these pop up on WW2 MK2 Brodies and have seen pictures with this type of net in use on both Mk2's and M1's.
    Last edited by Politefaun; 10-05-2019 at 07:18 PM.

MAP
    ?

I have read similar Steve.

In fact, for my M1, Jake (RuddersRangers), kindly sent me an English net. Exactly like yours.

Here is a thread over at USMF

WWII British supplied helmet nets - NET CONFIGURATIONS [REF] - U.S. Militaria Forum

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Steve at m1 helmet is a good friend of mine and lives only an hour way. If you got the helmet from Steve everything is on the up and up.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by MAP View Post
    I have read similar Steve.

In fact, for my M1, Jake (RuddersRangers), kindly sent me an English net. Exactly like yours.

Here is a thread over at USMF

WWII British supplied helmet nets - NET CONFIGURATIONS [REF] - U.S. Militaria Forum
    I remember stumbling across this same thread while checking to make sure the net was from WW2. Thank you for the confirmation and compliment from earlier.

MAP
    ?

OK Steve (and David)....you got me hooked to learn more about this. I'm sure this is all old hat (no pun intended) for the M1 geeks like Marty and Jake (who unfortunately has been sorely missed lately) and others.

As noted, I have two original never issued "British" style nets. One that I have put on my M1. A pain to get on. As I have two and given that these are still fairly easy to find unissued (or so I am told). I think one day I will soak one in hot water, stretch it out (it's cotton) and re-install it on my helmet. When it dries, the cotton shrinks and fits more closely to the lid. Mine also being "new" is not faded like yours

But I have come across a nice website that provides a nice general overview of the different types of nets used. I'm sure it is not exhaustive but probably good enough.

90th IDPG: The Shrimp Net: The Misunderstood Net of World War II

Here is my M1 fixed bale

Fixed Bail M1 With Net

Fixed Bail M1 With Net

Michael, have you ever started a thread on your m1’s? This one looks to be a minty McCord. I like a netted helmet but have found very few original ones. The only original one have ever owned was one with a home made netting. I know the net subject has been addressed on other forums but I thread on nettted m1’s would be nice to see here on Warrelics.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Michael, have you ever started a thread on your m1’s? This one looks to be a minty McCord. I like a netted helmet but have found very few original ones. The only original one have ever owned was one with a home made netting. I know the net subject has been addressed on other forums but I thread on nettted m1’s would be nice to see here on Warrelics.

Marty
    I only have three....this one is nothing special....lightly used, still has nice heavy cork texture. It is a McCord and a Westinghouse liner. You've seen it but probably forgot.

And yes, I have not seen many helmets with original netting but then again...I don't really collect them or study them much. These nets are so easy to age and install.

M1 Fixed Bale / Front Seam - McCord / Westinghouse

M1 McCord Heat Stamp / USMC Cover Help

US M1 Hawley