Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Front Seam US M1 Painted 2nd ID Helmet

Article about: I haven't posted in this section in a while. Here is another of my painted 2nd ID pots. My Uncle was in C Company, 23rd, and fought through the Normandy and Brittany campaigns before getting

Jim that great idea. We need reference threads for Preservation and study material for future generations. I do not have anything from the 2nd but I will enjoy the posts.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I never got around to adding some other 2nd ID helmets to this thread. I think I will try to find that box this weekend and add a few more. If anyone else cares to contribute, I just love looking at the Indian Head marked helmets, they are truly "Second to None!" Jim G.

Here are 2 matched sets, a front seam example with the insignia removed from the shell but with the paper decal intact on the shell, and a rear seam shell with its original liner. The rear seam piece has a WWII vintage liner that is a rat, and the shell itself, while still retaining the cork, was repainted before the hand painted 2nd ID insignia was applied. Late War? Post War? Korea? I don’t know, but the insignia on the liner was clearly done by the same guy that applied the Chief to the shell, and I think the insignia are good. The chin straps on both shells are complete with blackened hardware, but there is an interesting addition to the long end of the strap on the front seam piece.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front Seam US M1 Painted 2nd ID Helmet   Front Seam US M1 Painted 2nd ID Helmet  

Front Seam US M1 Painted 2nd ID Helmet   Front Seam US M1 Painted 2nd ID Helmet  

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Here are 2 matched sets, a front seam example with the insignia removed from the shell but with the paper decal intact on the shell, and a rear seam shell with its original liner. The rear seam piece has a WWII vintage liner that is a rat, and the shell itself, while still retaining the cork, was repainted before the hand painted 2nd ID insignia was applied. Late War? Post War? Korea? I don’t know, but the insignia on the liner was clearly done by the same guy that applied the Chief to the shell, and I think the insignia are good. The chin straps on both shells are complete with blackened hardware, but there is an interesting addition to the long end of the strap on the front seam piece.
    Interesting Jim. Nice lids no doubt! I cant tell if that Rear Seam is KW or WW2 or not. Looks like it could be WW2 paint to me from these or directly after. I am very familiar with the 2nd IDs fighting record in WW2 but not familiar if they had any occupation duties after the war (yes I know I could google). Something tell me this helmet is a transitional type lid. Perhaps this shell was painted and insignia after the war .... It being a late war helmet and all. The white inked dual naming with one name scratched out is similar to other KW examples I have seen though. The decal on that one looks a bit more "modern" as well.

The 1st decalled liner looks like a paper early type decal. I think their are lots of debates on those but I do remember seeing a knowledgable member on USMF w a late war 2nd ID Paper decal in similar design BUT it had a white border if memory serves me correct. Ill try to dig up the link! Thanks for sharing these and keep em comin!

PS Size wise they both look good. Smaller as opposed to big old ones that come along later. I have read that they were placed so high on the shell as to leave room for Rank Insignia (dunno if its true but makes sense!)

Z

Hi Z, The paper decal on the liner is trimmed. I have 2 others with paper decals that I will post in the coming weeks. I have NO doubt as to the originality of these insignia. Thanks for your interest. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi Z, The paper decal on the liner is trimmed. I have 2 others with paper decals that I will post in the coming weeks. I have NO doubt as to the originality of these insignia. Thanks for your interest. Jim G.
    Keep em comin

Here's some links Jim ... I found your 2nd and Hawley posted as well on USMF

Not super clear but nice to see the differences in the decals .. also some period pics you will like

2nd Infantry Division again. - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

WWII or Korean War 2nd Infantry M1 liner? - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2