Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Heat stamp help please!

Article about: I have a fixed bail, M1 with a front seam and a heat stamp of 164A. Can somebody tell me more about that? Thank you in advance. I don't have the book.

Default Heat stamp help please!

I have a fixed bail, M1 with a front seam and a heat stamp of 164A. Can somebody tell me more about that? Thank you in advance. I don't have the book.

pictures are a must
    (we need pics to tell)

Quote by Josh Grove View Post
    I have a fixed bail, M1 with a front seam and a heat stamp of 164A. Can somebody tell me more about that? Thank you in advance. I don't have the book.
    Hi Josh, welcome to the forum

Pics of the helmets/items you want to discuss are always most helpful - As without seeing the item, one can only speculate.

From the information you have given, it would appear that you have an early WWII shell - The front seam, fixed bales and low heat stamp number all point to 1942/43 construction. To my knowledge, after September 43 most (if not all) had swivel bales. Later WWII shells had the seam on the rear - I believe it was thought that this would improve strength. A fixed bale front seam helmet is certainly a little rarer than a swivel rear seam - Keep in mind many fixed bales were refurbished with swivels for ongoing service post war - With out seeing the pot, or if it has original paint/texture etc. this is about all I can help with. Cheers.

Kind regards,
    Chris

If its a McCord then its a 1942 production around april/may if its a schlueter then its a 1943 production...........

using the chart, the pot seems to have been made in may or june of 1942

Heat stamp help please!Heat stamp help please!Heat stamp help please!

Thanks! I just picked up another one, this one is a rear seam with a 14414 heat stamp. Swivel bail no liner. Any ideas on this one, I know it's later.

Ingersol products of Illinois Chicago,produced between 1965-1967..................shame its been repainted......

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I can see some lime green paint coming through. There were a couple of Vietnam era items mixed in the lot and I guess this was one of them.

I had an Ingersol I gave it to my Uncle a couple weeks ago He was in the Marines during Nam and he really enjoyed my gift. I made it up as a USMC helmet with period specific parts dated to the time he joined the Marines in 66.