Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Paint Job on M1 Helmet please

Article about: I would be interested in picking up this WW2 M1 helmet. I have not ever seen a paint job like this before. Has anyone else? Are opinions that this was done during the war? The helmet and pai

Default Help with Paint Job on M1 Helmet please

I would be interested in picking up this WW2 M1 helmet. I have not ever seen a paint job like this before. Has anyone else? Are opinions that this was done during the war? The helmet and paint looks like it was applied during WW2 to my eyes. I did not do a lead test on the paint since I do not own it, yet. Could this have been a US Navy helmet for a powder magazine or bomb loader, maybe? The helmet is a front seam swivel bale with a WW2 era liner. Looks like the liner has been repainted for Korea, maybe???? I did not find anything researching the name on the helmet as I have not been successful. I would like to learn what the best way to do that is. Some members come up with very detailed info on names. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to look and reply.
    John

Having some difficulty loading pics right now, sorry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Paint Job on M1 Helmet please   Help with Paint Job on M1 Helmet please  

Additional pics, hopefully. Photo upload is acting strange today.
    John

Help with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet pleaseHelp with Paint Job on M1 Helmet please

The RA (Regular Army) serial number would signify 50's-60's usage at a guess.

Hello,

Demo Exp. = Demonstration Expedient

Sweatband has been around since the late 1950s

What kind of sign is under the red color on the front side?

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

Demo Exp. = Demonstration Expedient
    I don't think that makes sense in English.

Demolition Expert maybe but I have never seen such a title used in military circles. Plus the way it is painted and the rather naieve skull and crossbones and "falling bomb" motif and I am inclined to think of some kind of comedic situation such as a circus / pantomime or childs game?

I don't think the final use/application was military at all although the inside of the shell and number marking seems genuine enough.

Just my thoughts of course.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-14-2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I think Demolition Expert makes the most sense form a US military point of view. The falling bomb symbol on the side could be a nod towards the WWII Explosive Ordnance Disposal patch seen on army uniforms.

It's got character! The Regular Army serial dates it between 1949 and 1960.

Thank you all for the information. I am going try to pick if I can get it for around $60 US.
    John

Def a post war lid with a cool look. The red makes me think Navy. Paint is same as a few “damage control” (firefighters) M1s I have. A common color in the ships paint locker. The RA number started after WWII as René said.

Unsure of the meaning of the marking. Gut tells me has to do with a flight crew on a ship or probably a carrier. An ordanceman. Just a guess.
    Z