Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

I need help identifying this m1 shell

Article about: Hello i was wondering if anyone can tell me if this m1 shell , is a original ww2 or korean war production shell.or if its from another country.the paint is not original that i know. and i im

Question I need help identifying this m1 shell

Hello i was wondering if anyone can tell me if this m1 shell , is a original ww2 or korean war production shell.or if its from another country.the paint is not original that i know. and i immediatly see lot numbers. maybe they wore out of are hiding under some paint. its a back seam helmet I need help identifying this m1 shellI need help identifying this m1 shellI need help identifying this m1 shellI need help identifying this m1 shellI need help identifying this m1 shell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need help identifying this m1 shell   I need help identifying this m1 shell  

I need help identifying this m1 shell   I need help identifying this m1 shell  

I need help identifying this m1 shell  
    Last edited by Microapache; 02-25-2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: better pictures

Hi there,

The insignia represents -

"Bloody Bucket Division"

"Keystone Division"

The red keystone, official emblem of the State of Pennsylvania, is the official shoulder sleeve insignia of the 28th Division which was originally a Pennsylvania National Guard organization. The Germans called it the "Bloody Bucket" because of the blood-red keystone insignia and vicious fighting tactics during the Normandy Campaign.

Motto: "Fire and Movement"

Ww2 service -
    28th Infantry Division - Order of Battle of the United States Army - WWII - ETO | U.S. Army Center of Military History

General information and history
    28th Infantry Division (United States) | Military Wiki | Fandom

From the photos uploaded I can't tell if this cork or sand paint and I'm also not 100% sure if the rim seam is on the front or rear. The rim does looks like it is made from stainless steel so that would put it in the ww2 manufacture spec.

Crap pics! can't tell! could also be steel rims?

Hi Microapache,

I would definitely recommend uploading better photos of the shell, that way other members will be able to give you more help/better answers.

Maybe views of the front, back, sides, the seam, the chin strap bales, any stamps etc.

If you use the pictures in these links as a guide on how to take your photos (that’s what I do), you should get more answers.

UNISSUED SCHLUETER FRONT SEAM LOT#354A w WESTINGHOUSE LINER
    Late War M1 Helmet Schlueter - 553A

Also ...be careful of Unit Insignia'd Steel Pots. They aren't all fakes but M1 World these days can be just as treacherous as German Helmets
    Z

Hi,

can you see if there are markings, the heatstamp, in the metal in the area above the eyes?

Based on the photos, I'm not even 100% sure whether it was made in the US at all.

In any case, it was overpainted on the outside and given a sandy texture. So the badge must have been on it later.

Regards

Difficult from the photos. The beading looks quite thick to me, the Keystone insignia is not in proportion for any original US helmet.