Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Korean War-Army camo cover photo

Article about: So I have been doing some research on trying to setup a nice Marine Korean War display when I stumbled upon this picture of the 25th infantry regiment dated June 17 1951. Picture is captione

Default Korean War-Army camo cover photo

So I have been doing some research on trying to setup a nice Marine Korean War display when I stumbled upon this picture of the 25th infantry regiment dated June 17 1951. Picture is captioned
    Typical day of the many soldiers in Korea who observed Father's Day without ever having seen their offspring are these five men of the 25th U.S. Inf. Div., who get together to compare snaps of their youngsters.

I have seen some photos of parachute material being used as a cover in WW2, but I can't tell if this is one of those covers or some locally made item.
    I'd love to hear some opinions and see if anyone else has similar photos.

There were a lot of varaitions of helmet covers used durng the Korean Conflict. Burlap was used, some of the standard issued WW2 camo netting from both the European Theater as well as the Pacific Theater were used as well as parachute material. The parachute material was very common among the paratroopers of the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat team when they made their 2 combat jumps at Suchcon and Musan Ni. I have some photos of 187th troopers with camo covers made from the parachutes.

There is also a very good book: US Army Uniforms of the Korean War by Shelby Stanton. This book has some information about some of the variations of covers used.

Smitty

I guess it's a helmet cover made of ordinary fabric.

I'm adding such a photo.