Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Korean War era M1 helmet

Article about: Hi guys here I have a Korean War era M1 rear seam swivel bale fitted with the green painted hardware on the chin straps. The helmet is a 1950's McCord but unfortunately the only number I can

Default Korean War era M1 helmet

Hi guys here I have a Korean War era M1 rear seam swivel bale fitted with the green painted hardware on the chin straps. The helmet is a 1950's McCord but unfortunately the only number I can make out on the heat stamp is 9 and an A. The helmet has two layers of paint on it, one a very light olive green and a darker olive green over it. There is marked inside the helmet in black K-0967 reminds of the laundry numbers found on WW2 M1s. This liner is one of the very first batch of liners to be made during the Korean War as it has the olive green A washers holding the suspension to the liner. CAPAC used a Westinghouse mold to make this liner hence the two manufacturer logos in the picture. CAPAC leased these molds from the government and instead of removing the Westinghouse logo they just added there own but with a production Year. This CAPAC liner was manufactured around 1951-1952 as it has the years 51 and 52 on the CAPAC logo. The liner has been repainted some time in its life but I can see a faint outline of a decal under the paint and also the colours yellow blue and red where the overpaint has chipped and scratched. The liner has an adjustable nape strap but the snaps have United Carr logo on them so is this a surplus WW2 strap used on a 1950's liner? The leather headband is the cotton type not the herring bone twill with a manufacturing date of 1957. I believe this to be a Korean War era helmet which has gone on to see service well into the 1960s.
    Thanks for looking guys and if anyone knows what that decal could be let me know
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War era M1 helmet   Korean War era M1 helmet  

Korean War era M1 helmet   Korean War era M1 helmet  

Looks a real nice example Ian and great write up ,i could learn a great deal from you

Nice helmet mate