Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter

Article about: Hello folks. I've been after one of these for a while, but they're hard to find in the UK. When they do turn up, they can be expensive. This one was listed on the website of a dealer I trust

Yea man. Real liner straps go for hefty sums these days. One sold for $160 here and was a topic of discussion. Many are frail ... I had one disintegrate in my hands once so I don’t F with my helmets that often. That was part of my “learning curve”. Haha. There are black buckle post war ones and repros but on my couple liners that don’t have. I’d rather go without.

Yes. You should be able to find a nice real net there no problem. They were originally for the British Mk2 helmet (name? Something like that) I believe first. Then the US Dudes used them, had a bunch of pictures snapped on D day and they became the GI helmet net in history. Lots of Repros of those are around too though.

Anyways. You got the main “parts” now
    Z

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Yea man. Real liner straps go for hefty sums these days. One sold for $160 here and was a topic of discussion. Many are frail ... I had one disintegrate in my hands once so I don’t F with my helmets that often. That was part of my “learning curve”. Haha. There are black buckle post war ones and repros but on my couple liners that don’t have. I’d rather go without.

Yes. You should be able to find a nice real net there no problem. They were originally for the British Mk2 helmet (name? Something like that) I believe first. Then the US Dudes used them, had a bunch of pictures snapped on D day and they became the GI helmet net in history. Lots of Repros of those are around too though.

Anyways. You got the main “parts” now
    Z
    Leather chinstraps folded over brims always make me nervous, so perhaps it's fortunate my M1 doesn't have one. $160 is about two thirds of the price I paid for the whole helmet, so I'll probably leave it alone after all. Then again, if the right one presents itself at the right time . . .

Mk2 is the correct designation for the 'bowl' style helmets us Brits wore during the war. By D-Day we had introduced the MkIII 'turtle' helmet, and both were used on D-Day with the aforementioned nets. Originals are very easy to source here, and they're good for protecting any helmet from accidental scratches and dings when handling. My M1 will be wearing one fairly soon!

B.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2