Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet

Article about: Hello friends of steel marbles, I want to show you this helmet. It is a shell from the manufacturer Schlueter, Heatstamp: 516A, so a rather late production. The bell is painted over in semi-

Default Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet

Hello friends of steel marbles,

I want to show you this helmet.

It is a shell from the manufacturer Schlueter, Heatstamp: 516A, so a rather late production.
    The bell is painted over in semi-gloss OD#7

and has a "hit list" on the side.
    The chin straps are still originally sewn to the bails.
    However, the fastener has been modified. He has a ball and also the new hook.

The liner is from Westinghouse and WWII prodoction. It has a sweatband and an adjustable neckband from the 1945 production.

I don't know if this combination wasn't too late for the end of World War II in Europe. Therefore I am assuming a helmet from the time of the Korean War.

I'm looking forward to comments.

greetings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet   Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet  

Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet   Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet  

more Details
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet   Late WWII or Korean War M1 Helmet  

more

Interesting M1 and in great condition too! It's a rear seam with a stainless steel rim so the shell was most manufactured during WW2 since they stopped using that rim material towards the end of the war. The finish is cork not sand which is another point towards it being WW2 manufacture as well, but the semi gloss paint means it was repainted for Korea as WW2 paint was dull. The liner is late WW2 as well, since the metal "A" washers look to be black painted brass. I can't tell if the leather chinstrap is black painted brass or black painted steel (this one being postwar). Overall a great late WW2/Korea example M1. I'm not going to comment on if the "hit list" is authentic, but I would guess that it's a tally for the amount of months or weeks this person has served. You can find some photos of soldiers doing a similar count on their Mitchel camo covers during Vietnam, but I've never seen it done on the shell before.

Hello and greetings,

there was no mention of sand anywhere. This is the original cork texture from WW2 production, just painted over with the darker color.

The Liner chinstrap is made of brass, with the PAT 2363872 marking and rivet-marking "United Carr".

Regards

The only element that had a US Patent was that buckle. LOL. And it is indeed WW2. I just sold an extra I had. I say this is a late late war M1 that prob was reissued / perhaps saw some service in Korea. It’s nice.
    Z

*** the only part of the M1 helmet and Liner of all the elements that it had ..... that had a US Patent was that buckle.

Sorry my writing had been poor lately.
    Z

Also ( looking on phone ) are you sure liner is a Westinghouse ? Looks like a seaman paper company logo to me.
    Z

Hello,

yes you see that correctly. The logo is harder to see, but Westinghouse is probably not.

But it is more similar to the manufacturer IMP

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

yes you see that correctly. The logo is harder to see, but Westinghouse is probably not.

But it is more similar to the manufacturer IMP
    Thats it! IMP is one of the WW2 makers I lack. Gotta get one