Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Liner restoration

Article about: Hello everyone, I have found a decently priced liner, however the trouble is, is that the liner webbing has torn due to stress from the sweatband. Everything is fine, but the exhibits a lot

Default Liner restoration

Hello everyone,

I have found a decently priced liner, however the trouble is, is that the liner webbing has torn due to stress from the sweatband. Everything is fine, but the exhibits a lot of paint lost.

ive read through a tutorial online, and personally I don’t own a drill, so would it be wise to use a screwdriver to take out the rivets?

Honestly, I am a bit frugal. Do I really have to buy a new webkit for the liner, or would it be okay to sew the webbing back together?

I do have more questions that I’ll think of, once I get to the stage where I cannot go further without knowledge, so please enlighten me!

Do you have pictures of the liner? Sometimes it’s best to leave them alone
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Here are a few pics of it. It has a post war sweatband attached that I want to remove.Liner restorationLiner restorationLiner restoration

?

Sweatbands, whatever the era are part of the helmet/liner history. Most of these helmets saw long use, therefore parts were replaced as needed. Unless it's a put together, it belongs. If you want to switch it out, it's your call and easy to do without any tools. As far as the internal HBT webbing, I'd leave it, as original is far more authentic that a relaced one.

Thanks for the comment. The seller says that he fitted the helmet liner with a 1980s sweatband a very long time ago, and found it in storage, with a Kevlar helmet stacked on top of it.

It was in an upside down position, so the sweatband possibly could have applied too much weight from the Kevlar helmet and eventually broke the webbing.

Is it still worthy of restoration?

yes just leave it the damage is part of it's history,once the hbt webbing is changed all originality is lost and authenticness has deminished forever if the damage really bothers you then your better off passing and waiting for another without the damage.

I agree with the comment above, any restoration you attempt won’t increase the value of this liner and only takes away its history. I would leave it as is, it is a piece of history in its own right.