Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

m1 chin strap length question

Article about: question. i have had several m1 helmets, American Nam and ww2, and German now, ...none of them have had chinstraps long enough to connect behind the back of the lid. seems like almost every

?

Default m1 chin strap length question

question. i have had several m1 helmets, American Nam and ww2, and German now, ...none of them have had chinstraps long enough to connect behind the back of the lid. seems like almost every picture of American soldiers in Nam and ww2 have them secured in the back. is this because the troops are cutting the threads off of the hook part of the chinstrap to make it longer? this is my best guess because it would allow the hook to still be attached, yet extending it an inch or so. this has puzzled me for some time.

Default re: m1 chin strap length question

All of the chin straps on my M1s... two WW2 issue and two post war issue (Vietname and a 1980s jobber) I've been able to attach the chin strap behind the helmet. It may be hard to do so, but have you tried adjusting the length of the chin strap? Sometimes the metal bracket on there becomes kind of fused to the cloth and makes it hard to make the strap long enough...

I believe, especially with the sewn on WWII chin straps, that there was an inconsistancy in lengths often too short to allow it to be buckled to the back of the helmet. I have not seen this of yet, with any of the M-1's we have obtained but I don't think it is that uncommon.

?

MySonsDad is right there are some inconsistency's in chin strap lengths ive had some that will fit & some that wont & ive also seen some that the soldier has cut the stitching on the J hook side to create more length so they would fit around the back BUT A WORD OF WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOUR SELF OR FORCE THEM IN ANYWAY ESPECIALLY ORIGINAL WW2 M-1s IF THEY DON'T FIT THEN LEAVE IT AS IS, AS YOU COULD END UP RUINING THE STRAP & THE VALUE !!!!

The chinstraps on my vietnam era M1, dont, i have tryed everything but still cant.
    Its impossible.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

what i normally with my NAM lids is if its got a elasticated foliage i'll tuck the chin strap under that.

NCA
    ?

Default Re: m1 chin strap length question

I've managed to get all mine to fit around the back.Some of them i had to adjust the strap to its fullest length then hook it up and gently prise it over the back rim, going from one side to the other.With nam era lids you can move the metal clip so its upright on both sides and do the same.I hope this makes sence?!On one Nam era lid ive got the metal clips sit naturally on the side of the bail like they have been there all the time..

?

im not sniping any of my straps, even at the longest length they wont fit. it is really odd, almost evey nam m1 i have seen has them around the back. must be a length inconsistency. thanks for your help. even my mccord ww2 m1 wont fit. eh on well.

I've only got one Nam era lid with a chin strap and I do admit, it was a bit of a struggle to get it pulled to the back, but the strap was in good shap so we worked with it until we got it.....it didn't just slip right over the rear rim. I've got 2 more Nam lids showing up, hopefully this coming week, I'll let you know if/how easy they fit over the back, when they arrive.

?

I must admit that ive never had that trouble before and didnt realise there were size discrepencies in the chin straps, over the years ive had 4 M1s and the straps have always passed to the rear and secured, but its an interesting observation and one to look for

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast