Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 front seam soldered captain bars

Article about: Hello everyone. Took the advice and ordered two books, waiting for them to arrive. Been reading the top two pinned threads on the forum trying to familiarize myself with M1 attributes. Came

The inside of the lid shows a great deal of wear paint chipping and flaking where the outside just shows ageing, ( reworked exterior).

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree.
    Tin/lead has been used in the manufacture of automobile bodies for many years, and yes, it does bond with the correct temperatures.
    Ralph.
    I agree, silver solder is an option and works with brass onto steel joints but brazing is cheaper and using phosfor-bronze brazing rods makes the heat control less of an issue. I have seen this referred to as "welding" but of course it isn't because welding involves both components being melted and fusing together which can't happen when one has a vastly lower melting point than the other. However, solding and brazing both work.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2