Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!

Article about: Howdy folks, I’ve had this shell for awhile and and have some questions. From what I can tell it is WWII with a front seam, sewn chinstrap, and textured with cork? And the outside paint lo

Default M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!

Howdy folks,

I’ve had this shell for awhile and and have some questions. From what I can tell it is WWII with a front seam, sewn chinstrap, and textured with cork? And the outside paint looks lighter than what I would expect but the inside looks very new and a different shade of OD. Which, if either one, is correct? Also “Anderson” wrote his name on the inside with a sharpie what would be a safe way to remove this? Any info will be great! Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!   M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!  

M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!   M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!  

M1 front seam swivel bale shell questions!  

It’s a legitimate Ww2 McCord swivel loop helmet that was painted at one time, note paint on the chinstrap buckle but Correct. Why would you want to remove the name?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

As Marty said, why would you want to remove the name? Also the inside would probably be lighter due to potentially not having as much wear/elements on it as the outside.

Thanks for the quick replies! I suppose I could leave the name but it’s written over the wear on the inside from where the liner rubbed the paint and is super fresh so I don’t believe it to be from any time it was issued.
    Thanks again for the info!

I suppose that decision is up to you then to remove it. From what I've read most solution will damage the paint so it may just be worth leaving alone. I guess you could spot test it.

Yes that’s what I figured as well especially with it being clearly a sharpie that’s why I asked. It will more than likely stay though.

Rubbing alcohol will remove it and shouldn’t damage the paint. Wipe with damp towel afterwards.

I still would not remove the name, sharpie has been around since the 1960’s, so who know when it was done.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The paint on the inside looks to be factory original.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    The paint on the inside looks to be factory original.
    Yep deffo.