Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Hawley w/McCord Fixed Bale

Article about: Was lucky enough to pick this up for a very fair price at the Max Show this weekend. Except for a rust stain, the liner is in mint unissued condition, or near unissued. I do think I can clea

MAP
    ?

Default M1 Hawley w/McCord Fixed Bale

Was lucky enough to pick this up for a very fair price at the Max Show this weekend.

Except for a rust stain, the liner is in mint unissued condition, or near unissued. I do think I can clean off much of the rust but will leave it as is.

The shell is a McCord Fixed Bale with heat stamp # 635A. It is too late for the liner, so I am switching it out with an earlier and more correct McCord fixed bale (#49C 3) with with brass hardware that I've had for years. (the photo with the liner outside the shell is it paired up with the earlier 49C 3 McCord. All the other photos are with the shell it came with)

Enjoy

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice. That is a hard to find liner. Got mine from the trunk of the vets car. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Very nice lid and liner. Not often seen in my part of the country.
    John

Very desirable 3rd pattern Hawley liner and with a green buckle leather chinstrap, really nice pickup. Is the inside of the green buckle rolled or flat?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Thanks guys. Almost missed this one. We saw it earlier. When I went back to get it, another guy had it in his hand. Luckily he put it down.

This was in my dealer/friends personal collection for many years. Glad he brought it to the Max

Marty: let me take a look and I'll let you know about the buckle. To nice to leave the porch right now

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice Hawley, you were lucky the other guy put it down!

Great purchase Michael and welcome aboard the early M1 production club,if your aware of Joshua Murray and his "big red" blog on his website it discusses "put together" M1 sets and is the common belief among historians and collectors that the majority of Helmet sets handed in after soldiers we're de-mobbed we're NOT the original set they we're first handed when enlisting so the fact the shell is in the higher range doesn't automatically mean they don't belong together but totally get why you'd wanna pair it with a much earlier fixed looped shell and a number prefix after the heatstamp which was dropped around 50-55 stamp marks and yes your chinstrap is an early UC flat buckle as apposed to the later wedge type another way to tell is that it carries brown rivets,original first type we're all brown metal hardware but this only lasted such a short period before switching to a combination of brown and olive drab metal parts,it's a super set in top shelf condition and looking at prices now on ebay and on dealers sites they are fetching sky high prices,well done bud on acquiring one looker of a Helmet set.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Guys.

Yes, was a bit nervous when I walked over and the gentleman was looking at it. But all worked out.

This is my 2nd Hawley as I've had another one for many many years. It has a lot more wear. And I will be passing it along to another forum member here who needs one.

@Marty/@Jake: Yes. the buckle is flat when opened and has all brown painted rivets

@Jake: This was NOT cheap but still IMHO below current market prices.