Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet 1983 questions

Article about: I recently got this m1 helmet with camouflage cover at a militaria fair recently and had a few questions The stamp says C /M/P in a hippie like circle with the number 5 below and another mar

?

Default M1 helmet 1983 questions

M1 helmet 1983 questions
    I recently got this m1 helmet with camouflage cover at a militaria fair recently and had a few questions
    M1 helmet 1983 questions
    The stamp says C /M/P in a hippie like circle with the number 5 below and another marking i cant distinguish . Who is the manufacturer?
    M1 helmet 1983 questions
    M1 helmet 1983 questions
    The shell lid seems way older than the liner part and has had repaints as cracked paint shows. I couldn’t find a heat stamp anywhere. Is there any other factors which help indicate its age?
    Thanks in advance

CMP Consolidated Molded Products who made liners from the late 1960s onwards and there should be contract info printed in black on the liner suspension. The shape of steel helmet looks to be a McCord type and could be late WW2 or a 1950s contract but would need to see the stamp number usually found under the front brow of the helmet. It has had a few repaint by the look of it as well and has the chinstrap type that are found on mid 1970 M1s onwards.

I do not remember evening seeing this camo cover design in the 80's. Is there a DSA stamp on the flap?
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I do not remember evening seeing this camo cover design in the 80's. Is there a DSA stamp on the flap?
    Marty
    Looks like one of those Mil-tec repro covers but could be one of those manufactured for foreign countries still using M1 type helmets. Definitely not used by the US army.

?

Sorry for late reply never got a notification. Found the second set of manufacturer markings and the markings on the helmet camo cover. I still can’t find the heat stamp number unfortunately
    M1 helmet 1983 questionsM1 helmet 1983 questions[ATTACH=CONFIG]1185581[/ATTACH

M1 helmet 1983 questions
    Found this website listing US army helmet cover markings for what type and mine appears at the bottem under “woodland pattern”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet 1983 questions  

?

M1 helmet 1983 questions
    Found the heat stamp number! From what i can tell its M 64A

I stand corrected and it’s a very nice cover contract dated 1983 and reversible by the looks of it as the other side looks like sand camo. The M64A stamp is a post war McCord stamp and they started making these at the start of the Korean War right through the 1950s. Try and pick up some 1950s chinstraps the ones with the green hardware on the buckle and bale clips. Add a double stamped CAPAC Westinghouse liner or a Westinghouse Micarta liner and it will be a really nice M1

?

thanks for giving a rough idea when it was originally made. Quite the life the shell would of lived. Almost 40 years of use through korean or Vietnam or any other us involved conflict. I will definitely have a look out for 1950s spare parts to make a 1950 type.

The paint looks Korea-era too, it is more 'brownish' than WW2 while Vietnam-era paint is a lot lighter. With a set of chinstraps and a liner as Redstalker described in matching condition you will have a very nice set.