Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet Color Help

Article about: Hello Everyone, I just got this Front Seam, Swivel Bale M1 heat stamp 1108B. So if i'm correct this is a late 1944 M1 right? The only issue I have with it is the color. I have it next to my

Default M1 Helmet Color Help

Hello Everyone,

I just got this Front Seam, Swivel Bale M1 heat stamp 1108F. So if i'm correct this is a late 1944 M1 right? The only issue I have with it is the color. I have it next to my Dana Vietnam M1 and the color looks identical to me.

Would this be a post war refurbish? it just seems weird because I thought when they did that they put the finer sand on the helmet and not the cork. This one seems to have the correct cork for WWII.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong on any of this as I don't know that much on any of this.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

M1 Helmet Color Help

M1 Helmet Color Help

Front seam is in the 43 range. I would like to see a close up picture of the finish on the one in question and possibly a picture without direct sunlight. Helmets can be difficult to photograph, is at least for me.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Front seam is in the 43 range. I would like to see a close up picture of the finish on the one in question and possibly a picture without direct sunlight. Helmets can be difficult to photograph, is at least for me.

Marty
    Here is a close up of the FS. sorry I know pictures can be deceiving.

I also added a picture with it next to a RS that I think has the correct color.

While I have that helmet out I might as well ask a question about it too. its a rear seam, swivel bale and has a ww2 chin strap. Is the chin strap original?(bottom pic) I know it has to do with the weave, but I don't know anything about that. Also the heat stamp is upside down(bottom picture). All i got from it is 123 c but its hard to see.

again thanks for looking at all this.

Close up FS
    M1 Helmet Color Help

RS on left FS on right
    M1 Helmet Color Help

RS Chin Strap
    M1 Helmet Color Help

RS heat stamp
    M1 Helmet Color Help

The one in the OP looks correct to me for a WW2 lid. The second lids chinstraps are fine for a Ww2 helmet but the color from the pictures looks dark like it was repainted during the KW era maybe it’s the picture.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    The one in the OP looks correct to me for a WW2 lid. The second lids chinstraps are fine for a Ww2 helmet but the color from the pictures looks dark like it was repainted during the KW era maybe it’s the picture.

Marty
    Its definitely darker. Almost like a dark OD green. I didn't know they repainted them in the KW but it does have some chipped paint in spots.

Still kinda curious about the upside down heat stamp. I didn't think they started doing that until Vietnam.

Hello

the right helmet has the original texture from WW2.

The left helmet has a semi-gloss OD # 7 paint from the 1950's./Korea.

greetings

Awesome. Thanks for the info