Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M1 helmet Question

Article about: Hi to all, I have a question about M1 helmet. What differences between European M1 Helmet and USA M1 helmet? Or its is indentical copy? Tnx for answers!

?

Default Re: M1 helmet Question

Quote by NickD View Post
    there are differences mainly the shape original US M1's are slightly higher in shape to the post war clone lids, i have an original M1 & a german clone M1 i'll try to get a good pic of them together to try & show it

well not exactly good pic's but i think it shows (think got got phil brown syndrome)

the US M1 is the dark green one & the german clone is the light green hope this helps out a little
    Hello, Nick. Are the liner chinstraps on the wrong helmets, or is it the lighting?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

no mate they're both post war for foreign made chin straps.

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    I have two swivel bail M1 s one is front seam with the stamp mark 843D in the front the liner is the hard type fibre glass with tan straps black A washers and original leather chin strap.The liner has some very small markings in the dome, 13D and below that a small circle with a w above a rounded oblong inside the circle.This helmet has a smooth dark green paint finish. The second one is swivel bail rear seam marked 522 above the left swivel bail ,no chin strap dark green rough paint, the liner has dark green webbing crossing through each other unreadable very small marking in the dome , fixed chin strap and made out of fibre glass with a cloth material woven in, there are markings on the rear webbing band HEADBAND LINER HELMET DSA 1OO-74-C-0116 8470-153-6671 STEINBERG and the rest is unreadable . Can anyone help re age ,type,and country of origin, thanking you in advance, cheers.
    Hello, davejb.
    Ok, the front seam swivel bale with the 843D stamp is American. If the 843 is a McCord stamp, the date will be around April 1944.
    A small circle with a W is the stamp means it's a Westinghouse Electric Company liner.
    The second one I am not really sure of, pics would be nice, as I am not sure of your description of the chinstraps. It sounds like the last type of American M1 pot, with big flat chinstrap attachments. The liner is American though, made in 1974. You can tell this by the DSA number, DSA-100- DATE. In your case , 74=1974.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

First of all, pardon me for reviving an old thread. But i need opinion from the m1 expert in here. When comparing my euro clone and the american war time made m1, i see the difference in chinstrap holder shape.

Euro clone (maybe austrian clone) on the top.
    American made on below.

Is it true that the euro clone swivel bail chinstrap holder is more straighter and shorter compared with the american made m1?

JBR
    ?

In my opinion, none of the non-US M1-type shells (ie the 'clones') are exactly like the US originals. The differences include form (the sculptural quality of the shell - includes features like tending to be more or less ball-like, tall or low dome, more or less pronounced curvature of the bottom profile etc etc), weight, rim material/seam butting, shape of loop swivel plates and paint texture/colour. Once you've seen and handled a few unspoiled Austrian, Belgian, German, Dutch, Danish and Israeli versions (the most common, I think - there are others) you will have 'got your eye in' and be able to score pretty well at guessing the origin of a particular shell. A good start is to look at the various types covered in two superb websites: cascoscoleccion and worldwarhelmets. The former is Spanish and the latter French. Google Translate (on the Google Toolbar) works well enough. If you're only interested in US helmets the copies are a nuisance but it's well worth while putting in a little research to avoid mistakes. If your interest goes further afield the M1 world family can get very addictive! On the question of shell form, foreign versions are, you could say, more or less like either the McCord or the Schlueter (or the post WW2 low dome US M1) - I'm not so familiar with the McCord but I have two completely different forms of Schlueter: one 'low and wide' and the other 'tall and thin'! Best Regards,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3