Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 mash up?

Article about: Here is an M1 that I received a long time ago from a friend in the US who's Father ran a military vehicle parts supply business. I know it was used when attending MV events but I only recent

Default M1 mash up?

Here is an M1 that I received a long time ago from a friend in the US who's Father ran a military vehicle parts supply business.

I know it was used when attending MV events but I only recently got it into the daylight again.

Comments welcome please upon what exactly I might have here.

Let's start with the helmet itself:

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

The shell is a front seam swivel bales with a small holed camouflage netting cover and a heat stamp, very feint due to being over painted. I can only make out 18?

I'm assuming it was a late war helmet reissued, updated for use in the 1960s, but am I right?

Next the liner:

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

M1 mash up?

The liner has an Inland lozenge stamp with 17 inside the crown of the liner. The A washers are grey. The contract number on the nape band is I think, W11-009-QM-17014? By L& N.

I know this isn't anything special but a gift from a friend from years ago but I thought you might like to see it all the same.

Stay safe and happy collecting!
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 01-23-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Correction to nape band contract detail

Cool One Black Cat. I like the Net a lot man. I have not seen one like it. Im not too up on Post War helmets but I no doubt appreciate seeing this one just the same. Paint looks recent and by "recent" I mean done after WW2 and after KW for sure. I Cant see a profile shot but judging by the Welds on the rim Its looking "McCordy" to me. Liner looks like a nice WW2 liner to me as well! A Keeper!

Z

Nice helmet BlackCat!

I think that type of helmet het is known as an M44 or shrimp net.
    90th IDPG: The Shrimp Net: The Misunderstood Net of World War II

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Nice helmet BlackCat!

I think that type of helmet het is known as an M44 or shrimp net.
    90th IDPG: The Shrimp Net: The Misunderstood Net of World War II
    The weave looked a bit different to me and more Modern as well but maybe you are correct! Unfamilar w them
    Z

Here's another shot of the net from the rear, showing how the band is seen to it and the woven pattern of the netting.
    M1 mash up?

On a side note the French forces used this type of helmet net post war. You can see a lot of period photos (late 1940s onwards) of troops in Indochina and Algeria using them. Interestingly you often see a first aid bandage kept under it too.

French Airborne Troops Helmets - Indochina - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

I just found the nape liner name in the M1 Peter Oostermann book! It is L&N Specialities Company. The contract being W11-009 QM-17014 which puts the manufacture of the liner material to November 5th 1943. But I am not sure the helmet shell is this old.

Yes. Very tricky actually and net looks pulled tight perhaps distorting it’s appearance some what. Like Willmore suggests there were post war ones and there were eurclones and yadda yadda yadda. Here’s another rabbit hole for ya black cat

netted helmet - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

The elasticated band on mine is 12mm wide, whereas the "Algerian" ones look a lot wider.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast