Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 question; need help!

Article about: I restored my helmets to as new, I've kept back a nice minty Fixed bale shell for myself, which had little or no combat use however the paint was well worn. This has been stripped and re-spr

Thumbs down M1 question; need help!

Hey guys; I collect German helmets but want to expand into some US WW2 stuff: I just got back from upstate NY on a holiday and found some cool stuff. I need some help on the M1 helmet I bought from you M1 experts out there.
    It is a front seam swivel bail M1, and looks to have original paint with the rough "sand" in it (I will post pictures shortly; have to figure out how to downsize so I can post).

Anyway, the outside of the LINER has been painted years ago (probably to be used for play or Halloween). I started scraping a bit to see ehat is underneath, and I found 2 logos, one on each side. On the right it has a coat of arms with crossed arrows and says "AUDACIA" at the bottom, and on the other side it has a shield that is red and yellow(I haven't scraped further to se if it says anything). Anyone heard of this before? Is this an italian, or some other liner mated to this helmet? The liner fits perfectly, but makes me wonder about the helmet; did other nations use a front seam swivel bail M1? I need some advice from you experts out there.

Default Re: M1 question; need help!

Hi, I am no real expert, but I am sure surplus WW2 helmets were sold as surplus, or sold to other countries in the last 65 years.

Good close up pics would be a must to tell if shell is orig WW2 paint. Any liner could have been swapped.

Regards, Steve

?

to be honest pic's will be needed to make a good judgment as whether its ww2 or not & also original as well.

Hi; stripped the paint off the outside of the liner last night, and found a stripe on the front; also the audacia decal came clear and did not strip off. Also, upon close examination I found very faded a name hand written at the back of the steel shell; "H.G. Harrison" or "H.G. Garrison".

Here are some photos; let me know if you guys need more to give me an opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 question; need help!   M1 question; need help!  

M1 question; need help!   M1 question; need help!  

M1 question; need help!   M1 question; need help!  

?

well its def ww2 front seemed swivel bail helmet but i dont believe the liner goes with it thats why the markings were painted over. the shell has been repainted post war & the the metal clips that would of held the chin strap dont belong but that just my opinion lets see what other people have to say

Fireguy

Your helmet liner might as well go with the helmet, which belonged to a Major. Both are WWII examples. The liner crest belongs to the 1-4th Air defense Artillery. I cannot be certain that it was added during the war, but it is a unit that did fight in WWII. The unit history states it " continued to serve as a part of the defense of this vital American interest (Panama Canal) until the latter half of World War II when the unit was used during the Leyte and Ryukyus campaigns. Other elements of the 4th Regiment of Artillery fought across North Africa and up the Italian Peninsula. " Take a look at the the attached picture of the crest.

As Nick said, the chinstrap of the outer shell is a post-war addition. I am not 100% certain that the outer shell has been repainted, though.

Regards,

Gus
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 question; need help! 

?

do any of the below markings appear in the inside top of the liner these are the stamps of the liner makers during ww2 ????
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help!  M1 question; need help! 

I must rectify one of my comments of the previous post. The liner seems to have a PFC rank insignia painted on the front that I have overlooked. This means that the liner is from a different helmet than the outer shell. (Outer shell belongs to a Mayor and liner to a Private First Class).

Regards,

Gus

?

thats probably why the markings were all painted over.

Hi,
    The helmet shell is in good condition for it,s age but post war painted, you will find a great deal of these were re-used for the Vietnam war, the chinstrap hangers are definatly Vietnam issue as they were not on any ww2 helmet. The Liner is in good condition i wouldnt touch the decals any more they should be left alone.
    but some of the webbing is missing, you can get replacements for that. In all a nice helmet well done.
    dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast