Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mc Cord m1 front seam fixed bail with cmc 61 liner

Article about: Hi Guys, hopefully I have learnt something from this great site, so here goes. I picked up a LAW 72 and what I think is a WW2 front seam fixed bail Mc Cord , looks like 252A heat stamp , no

Quote by earlymb View Post
    I have seen several original Vietnam-era pics where they clearly wear fixed bale shells, often even with the original khaki or green sewn chinstraps still in place. IIRC they were worn by ARVN's mostly so these might have been from a batch sold to RVN and they didn't bother to upgrade them first.
    The point I was making is that this type of chin strap was introduced in 1976 to replace all existing chinstraps in use on M1s. So I doubt that this helmet with the paint scheme it has was used by the US army in the late 70s. I never said they didn't use fixed bale helmets during the Vietnam war. I know and have seen pictures myself that they were using helmets like this in the 1960s throughout the conflict

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    You better sell it to Jake
    You know Bro.!

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    The point I was making is that this type of chin strap was introduced in 1976 to replace all existing chinstraps in use on M1s. So I doubt that this helmet with the paint scheme it has was used by the US army in the late 70s. I never said they didn't use fixed bale helmets during the Vietnam war. I know and have seen pictures myself that they were using helmets like this in the 1960s throughout the conflict
    I guess it could have been in a helmet cover since the early 1960s and issued to someone that wouldn't need to wear it often, which would explain the paint. When 'all' parts are to be replaced there always are loads that escape that treatment... But I wouldn't have difficulties to restore this helmet back to its 1960s configuration by adding a Mitchell camo cover and change the chinstraps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2